Thread: Not Another Sharpening Thread...I Promise

Not Another Sharpening Thread...I Promise

Santa brought me some new Shapton stones. if I listen to Rob Cosman, it seems like I just have to buy their stone holder....for more $$$. Please tell me why I can't (or shouldn't) just epoxy my Shapton stone to a nice piece of granite counter top drop off or a thick, solid piece of hardwood. Do I really need a $100 plus dollar stone holder to get the best out of the Shapton stones? Always good dialog here....I would like your opinions. Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by William Batdorf View Post
    Santa brought me some new Shapton stones....
    I'll assume Shapton Glass stones because the Shapton Pros come in a box which doubles as a stone holder. (Or, I'm told holds a couple glass stones.)

... if I listen to Rob Cosman, it seems like I just have to buy their stone holder....for more $$$. ...
    By any chance available in his store?

I know people have successfully use SG stones in regular generic stone holders (Two screws holding 3 hard rubber blocks together and allowing adjustable length. Some have used SP boxes. I like the Suehiro Deluxe(?) Stone holder, a bit beefier than the generic and with a single screw so easier to adjust to length, for a little more. That said, I'm sure the all the Shapton accessories are top notch, (though not necessarily cost effective.)

... Please tell me why I can't (or shouldn't) just epoxy my Shapton stone to a nice piece of granite counter top drop off or a thick, solid piece of hardwood. ...
    Only reason to not do this is because you'll eventually wear out the stone and want to replace it. I guess there's no reason not too mount the stones if you're up for redoing it eventually. Some anti-slip shelf liner will help if your base proves to be slippery in use.

ETA: if you use something like silicone caulk, you could probably remove a worn out stone and reuse your base.
    Last edited by David Bassett; 12-29-2020 at 7:06 PM. Reason: Add a thought....

Santa brought me some new Shapton stones. if I listen to Rob Cosman, it seems like I just have to buy their stone holder....for more $$$. Please tell me why I can't (or shouldn't) just epoxy my Shapton stone to a nice piece of granite counter top drop off or a thick, solid piece of hardwood. Do I really need a $100 plus dollar stone holder to get the best out of the Shapton stones? Always good dialog here....I would like your opinions. Thanks in advance
    William, many years ago now I epoxied my Shapton Pros to glass. They fit in their box, and the glass adds stability and longevity to the stones.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Why not make a holder with a scrap of wood?

Blog Entries
    The stone holders made especially for Shapton stones have not only been blessed by the Pope they have been blessed by the leader of every religion known to man.

You will be able to achieve measurably sharper blades than with any other holder or system. The stones will last at the least 4 times longer.

Now if you believe this, there is a very rare type 17 Stanley/Bailey #5 plane in my shop. It has the rarely seen hole in the sole making it easy to hang on a nail. This is a plane of which you may wish to become the exclusive owner. (yeah right!!!)

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

yes you can!

but you donīt really have to. A piece of wood, with a damp rag on it will hold the stone just fine. Or make a wooden holder in pine (dont overthink that the wood will not last forever, just make a new if it doesnt).

I would like your opinions. Thanks in advance
    The only advantage these holders offer beyond the bare stones is they're elevated above the benchtop.

I agree with others who said make your own holder from wood. Don't spend $100 on holder(s).

I made mine so that the stone is:
    1) elevated above the bench
    2) two-sided, so I can work the bevel and the backside.
    3) secured to keep it from moving, yet I can remove/replace one stone with another as I move to the next higher grit. (That is, the stone is not glued to holder.)

All this sounds more compex than it is - it's just a shaped block of wood. Here are some pics to give you ideas. (FYI, I recycled an old project into this, so there are a few extraneous holes, etc.)

Side used for working the bevel
    20201230_064758.jpg
    20201230_064719.jpg

Side used for working the back
    20201230_064506.jpg
    20201230_064629.jpg

Hope it helps.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    The only advantage these holders offer beyond the bare stones is they're elevated above the benchtop.
    I find that i need the extra elevation with many things that I sharpen, especially my knives when I am trying to sharpen at 15%, otherwise the handle hits the bench.

I also find that the stone holders can add friction so that it does not slip, but, I can mostly deal with that with a silicone cooking mat (very inexpensive) and it catches the water or oil that I am using on the stone.

Having owned Shaptons for all of three weeks I am of course now an authority. I've not seen the need for a stone holder of any kind yet. I might in the future. If so, I'll likely make something. Perhaps not. Time will tell.

I will certainly not be investing in the artisan crafted version that Shapton sells. While I fret a little over the loss of income for the cave dwelling mystic that hand crafts these in Nepal, and teh farmers that grow the special herbs that are sprinkled on them when finished, and the poor guy tasked with getting these to the Pope and Dalai Lama for blessing (you thought Jim was kidding?), and the rest of the good people in the supply chain; I'll figure out a way to sleep at night.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Never needed a holder for heights while sharpening the bevel on a plane blade or a chisel, but I have needed it while flattening the back of a chisel because the handle went down further than the stone. You can get around that if you have the stone on the edge of your bench. I don't always have the stone on the edge. With knives, it is off in the case that I handle will go down too far with thin stones. that is one reason that I try to get my Arkansas Stones 1 in thick.

No no. You need to spend the money. Support the economy, while you are at it get a pond and maybe even a complete rethink, mortgage the house and buy into a Nano Hone setup. LOL

Mount it on wood, glass, plexiglass, whatever.

This makes me glad I use Norton waterstones. Pay for a stone holder?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    This makes me glad I use Norton waterstones. Pay for a stone holder?!?
    I like stone holders but can get buy without them if the stone is thick enough. You can probably make do with the silicon pad if needed, or even make one out of wood. Note that I own a few stone holders (obviously I like them), but if they are not in your budget, you can get by. Here is what I like about the holders.

1. They lift the stone higher. This is particularly important when sharpening something that hangs over the edge and might have some width so that it will hit the table. This is very problematic with some knives and even chisels when flattening the back. Work around: I sharpen next to the edge of a table so that things cannot hit the table. Just do not drop the stone on the ground.

2. The stone hold generally will not slide on the table. Work around: You did order a silicon mat, and that can also help with clean-up.