Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Benchtop Spindle Sanders

Benchtop Spindle Sanders

Hi Everyone,

I trying to decide on which OSS to purchase
    I hear poor things about Delta but I was raised to believe Delta is the best
    The Jet seems to have mixed reviews primarily positive
    I have no experience with Grizzly machines or the quality but I do like the combination Spindle/Drum

Can you guys share your thoughts on the following 3 items or suggest something? Thank You in advance

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Delta-1-...-483/205112106
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Jet-1-2-...8404/100375603
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grizzly-...0529/310718952

The Delta of today is not the Delta of yesterday...not even the "same company", per se....

While I like my old Delta OSS with the cast iron top, if I were buying one today, I'd certainly opt for one that has both spindle and belt for more opportunities and flexible use. I have no familiarity with the three units you ask about, unfortunately.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I will watch this thread with interest. I bought a secondhand Craftsman OSS off eBay about 10 years ago and have used it almost every day since then, to sand wood and brass. I am amazed that it's still going, but someday it'll need to be replaced and I'd like to know what to look for when the time comes.

I can't comment on the three sanders you linked. But, I can tell you I have the Ridgid Belt/Spindle Sander, and am very happy with it. Dust collection is lacking, but that is probably the norm for most less expensive models/brands. I chose to purchase from Home Depot to get the Life-Time Warranty.

I had the Jet JBOS5 for many years and it was an excellent benchtop machine. I sold it when I down sized and am now wanting to buy another one. I had thought about a combo belt/spindle unit, but I have a bench mount for my belt sander, so I'll likely buy the Jet again. I liked the tilting table feature and have seen that some of the less expensive machines have stationary tables. The Jet also has an induction motor and is very quiet.
    Dick Mahany.

My Delta BOSS has been trouble free but is limited in it's capabilities. If I were shopping for a bench top SS today I'd likely go with the Jet.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    My Delta BOSS has been trouble free but is limited in it's capabilities.
    I have the same machine, and good experience, as Bruce.

No experience with the 3 you link to, but I think I'd stay away from new Delta. As Jim said - Delta today isnt yesterday's Delta. I like JET machines a lot. But if I were buy today, I'd get the RIGID sander Lisa recommended. I have been eyeballing one of those for a year. They have a pretty good reputation as a light/medium use machine. [Edit: I originally said "light/heavy" use. That was a mistype - I meant light/medium use.]
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-29-2020 at 3:38 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

My experience with the Rigid belt/spindle sander echoes Lisa's. I doubt it would hold up to all day/every day use in a production shop, but for my use it's been great. I probably use the belt more often than the spindle. I've even used it to thickness sand parts for small projects by clamping on a fence.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

All Thank You for the feedback

The Ridgid seems like a nice combo Belt/Spindle but given the contour work I do all-day I would prefer something a little more substantial.
    Part of me is leaning towards the Grizzly but I just dont have any experience with that brand

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    I can't comment on the three sanders you linked. But, I can tell you I have the Ridgid Belt/Spindle Sander, and am very happy with it. Dust collection is lacking, but that is probably the norm for most less expensive models/brands. I chose to purchase from Home Depot to get the Life-Time Warranty.

^ second on the Rigid. It's a nice machine.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Gervasio View Post
    All Thank You for the feedback

The Ridgid seems like a nice combo Belt/Spindle but given the contour work I do all-day I would prefer something a little more substantial.
    Part of me is leaning towards the Grizzly but I just dont have any experience with that brand

I have the ridgid. I’m with the others good machine.. I also have some grizzly sanders ( not their spindle). Overall I feel grizzly makes good tools.
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

I had the Jet spindle sander for a few years and now own a Grizzly G1071. The Jet lacked a full range of spindle sizes for what I wanted to do. Also the Jet spindles were not round. This caused the wood to "bounce" as it hit the high spots on the spindles. Not all of the spindles, but most of them. The G1071 comes with ten spindle sizes and the ones I got run true.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    I had the Jet spindle sander for a few years and now own a Grizzly G1071. The Jet lacked a full range of spindle sizes for what I wanted to do. Also the Jet spindles were not round. This caused the wood to "bounce" as it hit the high spots on the spindles. Not all of the spindles, but most of them. The G1071 comes with ten spindle sizes and the ones I got run true.
    I haven’t heard good things about the G1071 dust collection. I’m still looking for an OSC, preferably stationary, that is good on that count. Til then...

I brought one from harbor freight. I don't use it a lot, but it works fine when I need it.
    Brian

I bought a Wen for $100 a few years ago and it has worked fine although I dont use it much. I dont know what the current price is on one.