Thread: Hand tool issues for (my) older hands

Hand tool issues for (my) older hands

This is MY OPINION only.
    Full disclosure; I already emailed Lee Valley about this - let's see what happens.
    Following another thread in Power Tools (regarding clamps for woodworkers with weaker hands), I began to note what drives me crazy about some of my Veritas implements. I can't comment on any other tool manufacturer.
    I keep my arthritis in check with a fairly vigorous exercise program, as much for my need to continue riding my beloved motorcycle as well as working wood with hand tools. Still, some design elements lead me to scratching my head.
    Point 1: Large Router Plane: To tighten the blade at a depth, I have found I need to really "yard" down on the knurled knob or else it shifts left and right in use. Of course, to readjust the blade, and loosen it, I need to use pliers to get the leverage needed. Did nobody at Veritas design think that older hands need a better leverage thought process?
    Point 1a: I have the Lg router plane fence. In order to have the setting actually hold, I have/am making two modifications. Firstly, on the shaft thread to fence junction, I've used Blue Loctite (copyright) to hold the shaft from rotating; on the shaft itself, I'm going to flatten the bottom with a metal file so the retaining knob actually holds the fence in location. (flat meeting round doesn't give enough friction space)
    Point 2: Mk ii sharpening jigs: I have 3 - the straight, the cambered and the chisel units. Each one lets you tighten the blade in place with a pair of knurled knobs. I can get the blades tight and sharpen them, but to release, requires more force than my hands can easily muster.
    Point 3: I have the Jack Rabbet and the R-H Shooting Planes. Both come with an Allan key to hold the totes in place, but as you know, Allan keys get lost. I put a rare earth magnet on my planes to keep the keys at hand. Perhaps if he planes came WITH a magnet and a tiny bit of super glue.....
    These tools are first class, and priced accordingly. I enjoy using them and the feeling of quality they give. I especially enjoy that I didn't have to spend hours restoring them. But I do wonder what would happen if they had older, weaker hands using the prototypes if there would be design changes.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

How about some ratcheting knobs.

Similar to this but in the apropriate thread
    https://www.rockler.com/ratchet-leve...xoCqW8QAvD_BwE

Some of us have cut a screwdriver slot in the top of the knurled knobs with a dremel or such.

Excellent idea Phil. I'll get right on it for several tools, and not just LV.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Aaron are you familiar with small strap wrenches for tightening & loosening those small knobs?

They were a big deal, with commercial products and how-to articles & posts, a few years ago. My search strings aren't finding much, you may have more luck, but here is one blog post that'll give an idea:

The Nutsaver

of what I'm talking about and the general time frame this was (last) a hot topic.

David Bassett: thanks for that link! As my hands at times do not work well I ordered a "Nut Saver" from Sterling Tool Works for woodworking and other tasks on the reloading bench. Again, thanks!

http://www.sterlingtoolworks.com/sto...nch/p/51046445

Hi Aaron. I use something like these. LINK They work great on LV tools.

Google >soft grip pliers < and several types come up.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    David Bassett: thanks for that link! As my hands at times do not work well I ordered a "Nut Saver" from Sterling Tool Works for woodworking and other tasks on the reloading bench. Again, thanks!

http://www.sterlingtoolworks.com/sto...nch/p/51046445
    You're most welcome! I'm glad my random memory led someone to a solution. Also, thank you for the link to Sterling Tool Works. I didn't know they were offering this in the US. In fact, I often forget to check their products. (Too easy to go to LV and send Rob & crew my money. )

Blog Entries
    Point 3: I have the Jack Rabbet and the R-H Shooting Planes. Both come with an Allan key to hold the totes in place, but as you know, Allan keys get lost. I put a rare earth magnet on my planes to keep the keys at hand. Perhaps if he planes came WITH a magnet and a tiny bit of super glue.....
    These tools are first class, and priced accordingly. I enjoy using them and the feeling of quality they give. I especially enjoy that I didn't have to spend hours restoring them. But I do wonder what would happen if they had older, weaker hands using the prototypes if there would be design changes.
    Aaron, you certainly have my empathy. My main reason for purchasing a lathe was to make handles for my tools that would be comfortable to my old hands.

This seems like an opportunity for someone to make custom fittings for these tools as a way to make a little income. Would it be possible to make a knob to fit over the knurled knobs to increase the size of the bolt head or it might work to make winged bolts for the clamp.

Maybe a wooden drawer knob could be drilled to the same size as the current knob with a set screw through the side and used to add some leverage.

As far as the loss of Allan keys mine are stored purposely in various places. There is one drawer in a rolling toolbox with multiple sets including splined Allan keys. There are two on a magnet inside my bandsaw's storage compartment. There are some in my in house toolbox. There are others stored in the drawers or shelves that hold other tools that need adjustment with Allan keys. There are many duplicates.

One thing noticed about LV tools in my limited experience is the Allan keys used are ones that have equivalent sizes between inch and metric sets:

2, 4 & 8mm are interchangeable with 5/64, 5/32 & 5/16" respectively.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

One thing to remember when thinking "if only they just would" type thoughts is that although they are Grade A tools, they are still made to a price point. Each additional operation costs money as well as does any required setup.

With that said, I must confess that my thumb arthritis is beginning to really impede progress and that I have begun thinking about drilling a hole at right angles to the main thread in order to insert a piece of drill rod to use as a wrench. I wonder how much it would cost to make a hexagonal hole and then use the hex key as the leverl since it could bend before damaging the threads.

I wonder ho large the market actually is fro folks with various handicaps - arthritis, vision, hearing, missing parts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Aaron are you familiar with small strap wrenches for tightening & loosening those small knobs?
    Another thing to consider is getting one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 (miniature Knipex Cobras)

and putting some plastic tubing over the jaws.

Best “strap wrench” ever, for small knurled parts.
    Last edited by Doug Dawson; 12-30-2020 at 3:49 AM.

Hi Aaron

Some of these screws - Veritas and others - are designed with the best intentions, but remain effective than we like. I have a few recommendations ...

Firstly, the Veritas Large router plane knob is part if a mechanism ...

Pull it apart to get to this ...

The piston can stick and this will make the overall length shorter, which means less leverage when tightening. Clean it.

Knobs have been upgraded by Veritas in the past, such as the depth stop for the Small Plow. I have posted for a number of years my solution to tightening knobs .... indeed, this is needed even when hand tightening, since untightening can be as much an issue as tightening. My solution was to add a slot for a screwdriver ...

A while back I discovered nylon lined pliers (non-maring). I use these on all my tools with knobs, especially wheel gauges. I do not want settings to change.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I was busy all afternoon, and tonight avoided the site: I actually thought I might get flamed for my comments. I'm certainly buoyed by the knowledge that I'm not alone in my issue.
    I'm going to look up all the various links and see what I can do to help my problems. Thank you all.
    Now, something I have adopted among my LV planes -the little grub screws that position the blades can vibrate out, in my case, because I sometimes take my planes on the road to work in a customer's home. LV has been great about replacing them, but I only want them to do it once. So, I put blue Loctite on every vibration prone part and make my adjustment and it never goes away. THAT is how you keep parts on old British motorcycles and newer Harleys!
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.