Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which SawStop Model To Buy

Which SawStop Model To Buy

I may not be using the search engine in SawMillCreek effectively, but I see little mention of recommendations for which SawStop model to buy. I thought perhaps there would be a SawStop Group, but find no such thing.

I may have my European Sliding Table Saw sold and will replace with a quality cabinet saw. I am coming from having 5hp motors and 12-inch blades so I am inclined to lean towards more power than less. 220 service, not 3-phase. I have the larger Festool plunge circular saw and an assortment of their saw guides, so handling large panels will be done using that system. I would get the best fence they sell as well as the industrial mobility kit. The 3hp model with a 36-inch side table seems adequate.

My question is whether stepping up to the industrial models with a 5hp motor is worth the money. Any thoughts? Also, what has been your experience using the optional swing-up extension table?

Thank you in advance.

Jeff Wright
    St Petersburg FL area

I have the 36" 3HP. It has handled everything I've thrown at it without flonchit, but I'll admit that currently the worst of that is 8/4 walnut and 8/4 hickory.

From what I've read, the only real reason to go with the industrial is if you're using it full time. For a hobbiest, the PCS will be a lifetime saw. For the full time user, the extra heft of the industrial model is a definite factor.

Thanks Myles.

Do you use the support legs on the side table extension? I was considering removing them as I will put it on the industrial mobility kit and thought those legs would hinder moving the unit.

The ICS build is definitely better but only you know what you need or more importantly want. The difference is more like a Unisaw vs a Delta 12-14 although the 12-14 was heavier than the ICS. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Wright View Post
    Thanks Myles.

Do you use the support legs on the side table extension? I was considering removing them as I will put it on the industrial mobility kit and thought those legs would hinder moving the unit.
    They don’t.

I have a cabinet saw and if I upgraded would seriously consider a slider. Curious as to why you are going back to a cabinet saw from a slider?

Thanks Myles.

I have the 5hp ICS with 36" fence and mobile base, pump it up and push it around with the single leg off the floor, once it is where you want it . let it down and support leg is solid again.
    Have a fold down roller out feed table bolted to it, definitely gets used then fold down when moving the saw around
    Ron

I don't have a sawstop now but have it on my next tool list. 36" 3hp pcs is the model I have narrowed it down to for my uses. However, in your original post, your not posting your use of the saw so it's hard for anyone to help with a recommendation. If you are ripping 100's of feet of thick stock, yes, of course you might want the ICS with a 5hp motor. But like others stated, most hobby level users would have a saw for life with a pcs.

I have the 3HP PCS and it does everything I need. I've used the ICS and I find the blade lift works nicer (smoother, easier) on the ICS but beyond that I can't think of anything. You can get the hydraulic lift base and use it on the PCS if you want that. A friend of mine did that.

If I had to do it over again, I might go for a 3HP ICS but I'm happy with my PCS.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

ICS has a deeper table, which can be nice, and is left-tilt.

What are you planning for above-table dust collection?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    ICS has a deeper table, which can be nice, and is left-tilt.

Matt
    I think all of the SawStop saws are left-tilt. At least I never heard of a right-tilt SawStop.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Thanks Myles.

Yes because I rarely will have the fence off the cast iron when using the saw, so the laminate top is more of a storage table for me until I need to cut plywood. It keeps the saw stable when I have too much stock stacked up there. I agree with Doug about them not hindering movement, but I'll add the caveat: if your floor isn't flat, they might try to raise that side of the saw up if you move it and they're on a high spot.

I have the 5HP ICS (and have 3-Phase), and for me it was a huge step up from the Contractor's Saw. I think for most people the PCS would be a great saw, but I actually have run into some 10/4 thick hard maple that even gave the 5HP ICS a challenge with a combination blade (A rip blade ripped it with ease, so my bad, but shows you that even 5HP can be stalled if you try hard enough).

Personally, I love the ICS. Very, very well made, and the mobile base is quite nice too.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I think all of the SawStop saws are left-tilt. At least I never heard of a right-tilt SawStop.
    Oh wow, you're right -- I'd heard this a long time ago and thought it made sense based on the motor positions:

I have had the 3hp pcs for 5 years or so and love it. Dont get the 52" unless you need it. I may cut mine down. Im out of space.