Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cell Phone Repeaters / Extender?

I just wish there was a way to force my iPhone to use WI-FI calling without turning off cellular. I have WI-FI calling turned on, but Verizon likes to chose LTE instead for calls. Up until the last month or so I would get one or two bars on my phone so my phone would always be on WI-FI calling. Verizon did some sort of network improvement so now I get two or three bars at my house all the time. I still think WI-FI calling is better at my house.

The only good thing about better LTE signal is now I can use my phone or the Internet if my cable Internet ever goes out. I had a heck of a time doing anything with my phone without cable Internet previously. I couldn't even call Comcast to report my Internet was out.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    The biggest killer of battery is the frequent connections made by the location service on the phone. No need for those services when you are at home. Turn that off and I bet you see a decent decrease of battery drain. Turn on location service only when you need it.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I just wish there was a way to force my iPhone to use WI-FI calling without turning off cellular. I have WI-FI calling turned on, but Verizon likes to chose LTE instead for calls. Up until the last month or so I would get one or two bars on my phone so my phone would always be on WI-FI calling. Verizon did some sort of network improvement so now I get two or three bars at my house all the time. I still think WI-FI calling is better at my house.
    That's strange...my phone and those of the rest of the family always prioritizes WiFi calling over Cellular. But we are not VZ customers for cellular, however.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post

The only good thing about better LTE signal is now I can use my phone or the Internet if my cable Internet ever goes out. I had a heck of a time doing anything with my phone without cable Internet previously. I couldn't even call Comcast to report my Internet was out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's strange...my phone and those of the rest of the family always prioritizes WiFi calling over Cellular. But we are not VZ customers for cellular, however.
    I have an older android phone running an olser version of android, but there is an option called "Smart Network Switch" that if enabled will toggle the connection between cellular and wifi. I have that option disabled to keep the phone connected to my wifi whenever I'm home. Don't know if there is an IOS equivalent.

Edit: With this option disabled, I do not have to manually switch between wifi <-> cellular when I move in/out of my home network.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 12-30-2020 at 10:22 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Well, I have both Wifi and wifi calling turned on and still have lousy reception. What else can I try besides changing providers?

how can I check which provider would give the best reception in my area?
    WoodsShop