Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best 24” bandsaw for industrial setting?

I got real lucky when I found this Hema 20” saw just a couple hours from my shop. Pretty rare to find these in the US. There were a couple dealers in the early 80s so a few may be floating around. Way better build than any of the Italian saws. Some of the nicer features of this saw are the chain and handwheel raising and lowering of the upper guard-guide assembly and the heavy cast rip fence with drift adjustment. The Panhans guides are easy to adjust also.

3739E922-E45C-4A25-9EBD-84AADABC34E9.jpg
    95D79D93-1BDC-444F-8025-42F5485EE31A.jpg
    049C1E47-F4FB-4B19-A9BA-40A349440083.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Hold the phone - your small saw is 20"?

3. Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Mark, Panhans-Beck in Germany took over Agazzani. They rebranded and sold Agazzani for several years before this. Adding their guides and a few other items to the saws. They have no dealers here as far as I know.
    https://www.hoechsmann.com/lexikon/3...chinenbau_gmbh

Let's see if I did this right. The link above is what I found about Agazzani

Jack,

I have a SCM 600p (24" resaw) it's 5-6 years old and was set up for test cuts, I just don't have room for 2 of these. It's located in central Ohio asking $4,400.00 If your interested email me at; the18thcenturycabinetmaker@gmail.com

I have an scm 20”. It’s a simple well made beast. It has a lot of mass which you want with a large bandsaw. I’d pass on the powermatic. I’m a powermatic fan but not for a large bandsaw. Stick with an Italian made one.

Minimax or the Laguna Italian-made

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post

Let's see if I did this right. The link above is what I found about Agazzani
    That’s the right company Mark. I always call it Panhans but it is Hokubema.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    That’s the right company Mark. I always call it Panhans but it is Hokubema.
    Thank you. I worry about finding parts for my saw if I need them in the future. The last time I needed some parts, Eagle tool didn't have them and told me I probably would not be able to find them. I was lucky and did find some. Eagle tool wanted to.know where I got them. Even the Agazzani dealer can't find parts

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hovanec View Post
    I think I'll try to keep my eye out more on the used market.
    Id agree with this sentiment as opposed to any of your new purchase options. A bit bit back a Centauro 900 (36") with perhaps 40 blades, and cleaning out the shop they tossed in a bunch of other stuff (perhaps 500-1k of solid surface and some other stuff).. carter upper and lower, 7.5 hp, plug and play... Was basically a get it out of the shop or its going to the scrap yard. Lightly used.

I wouldnt echo Patrick's perspective on used saws. Sounds a lot like a gambler recounting the time they flopped a royal flush. Ive never seen it but seeing big, clean, turn key, saws for $500 bucks is a waiting game and a costly crap shoot for a business that uses its equipment. Its not what you do when you need a saw. And the expense of waiting, the expense of transport, the expense of having to go and look at/investigate, are likely why your just considering a new purchase. Your time is far better spent making product in the shop. Its lost money d*cking off on auction sites, making phone calls, wringing your hands over buying sight unseen. The hobby folk dont care to drive 1000 miles to look at a saw to pass. Thats a 1500 day tossed to the wind when you couldve been in the shop making product.

I dont know if Bill Kerfoot is still in the loop up there in PA but you may be able to smack a nice tested/proven saw from someone like him in your area. You'll pay a shade of a bump but the saw will be run and you'll know the issues if any before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    I have an Agazzani B20. Been happy with it and the support I have gotten from Eagle tools. Had a problem when it was new with one of the microswitches. Started to deduct which one it was and got fed up and disconnected all of them. It is now approximately 10 years old and on its third start capacitor. Since Agazzani has been sold (correct me if thats incorrect) parts are difficult to find. Three or four years ago I needed thruss bearings and had a hard time finding them. Eagle tools even asked where I found them.
    Mark, I too have an Agazzani and have noticed the thrust bearings seem to be more worn than the rest of the guides. Where did you find replacements?

I actually haven’t been too impressed with the guides. However, the saw cuts great and powers through everything so I shouldn’t complain!

To the OP, when I was looking for a larger saw I really wanted an old cast iron saw but at the time I had too many irons in the fire so restoring a saw wasn’t an option. I lucked out finding a B-24 just a few hours away. It was plug and play and was immediately put to use. First job it did was cutting tenon cheeks on a few doors builds for a historic house. I couldn’t be without it these days!

11. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Mark, I too have an Agazzani and have noticed the thrust bearings seem to be more worn than the rest of the guides. Where did you find replacements?

I actually haven’t been too impressed with the guides. However, the saw cuts great and powers through everything so I shouldn’t complain!

To the OP, when I was looking for a larger saw I really wanted an old cast iron saw but at the time I had too many irons in the fire so restoring a saw wasn’t an option. I lucked out finding a B-24 just a few hours away. It was plug and play and was immediately put to use. First job it did was cutting tenon cheeks on a few doors builds for a historic house. I couldn’t be without it these days!
    I just knew someone was going to ask. I don't remember. I didn't commit it to memory because they mentioned they were no longer going to carry parts for Agazzani. Sorry. I would call Jesse at Eagle tools in Calf. He has always been very helpful

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post

You could try pursuing the link above. My understanding is they own Agazzani now. Perhaps they can lead you to parts

Every Agazzani I've seen has the usual Euro-style guides. In other words, nothing proprietary. If I needed extra guides, I would probably just get some ceramics from Space Age Ceramics. Getting spare parts is the Achilles heel of Italian bandsaws.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep