Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best 24” bandsaw for industrial setting?

1. If the need is immediate you might need to check with SCN or others for estimated delivery dates. Took 3 months to get my Minimax.

I personally use a cast iron American dinosaur in my commercial shop. I wouldn't call it heavy use, but it's there to make $. The saw needed some work to get working right, but with new guides, a new motor and mag starter and an added fence system, it's still quite a bit cheaper than anything else I could find. I prefer the old iron to, but not judging someone who just wants new.

Re Grizzly, they do appear to have at least 2 lines of bandsaws, one for hobby/light industrial use like the G0513/G0514 then something like the G0568 or G0569 for heavier usage. I imagine the Northfield would cut about anything that would fit and do so for years.

I purchased the Felder FB 610 several years ago for my sign shop. IMO its a great saw. When I purchased mine it had a five HP motor, I believe the new models are four hp.
    The FB 610 with a one inch carbide blade has cut anything I need including lots of solid surface materials which are normally very tough to cut. Re-sawing wood has also been very easy to do but I haven't done any wood species thicker than about 8 inches yet. My FB 610 is used daily, I pretty much abandoned my table saw years ago. The FB 610 will rip lumber faster and safer than my table saw, its the band saw I always wanted. I can't say that it is the best saw on your list but IMO its a contender.

FWIW I own a panel saw that I use to break down large sheets.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 01-11-2021 at 12:58 PM.

Northfield is as good as they come.
    Chuck

Could save some dough if you could figure out importing a Centauro to the US. Below cost for a 600mm saw probably includes Italy VAT which wouldn’t apply if exporting.
    https://www.makxilia.biz/it/macchine...o-co600hd.html

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Could save some dough if you could figure out importing a Centauro to the US. Below cost for a 600mm saw probably includes Italy VAT which wouldn’t apply if exporting.
    https://www.makxilia.biz/it/macchine...o-co600hd.html
    Boy, if I could get one here at that price I'd just write a check. I've been looking for a good used one for many months now. Ocean freight would probably only be a few hundred dollars, but one would probably get whacked with a substantial duty; I believe there is currently a 25% added duty on top of whatever it was before, so probably a total of 35-40%. At that point it's no longer such a good deal.

The €3333 price did not include VAT.

I have an FB710 which I think is great. Seems to be built like a tank, and handles anything I throw at it. But mine is not an industrial shop, though I think you would be very happy with it. Easily tensions a 1" blade to 25K.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Boy, if I could get one here at that price I'd just write a check. I've been looking for a good used one for many months now. Ocean freight would probably only be a few hundred dollars, but one would probably get whacked with a substantial duty; I believe there is currently a 25% added duty on top of whatever it was before, so probably a total of 35-40%. At that point it's no longer such a good deal.

The duty for woodworking machinery from EU into the US is 3%, the additional 25% only applies to imports from China. Additionally, you'd need to factor in ocean freight, local logistics and a forwarding agent with a Delaware address.

I've only ordered stuff from Germany that could be shipped by DHL but the process was pretty seamless.

If your shop files as an LLC, you should be able to depreciate assets. If the bandsaw is a centerpiece in your shop, choose one that can be repaired easily.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p94...link1000107308

Main bearings, interlocks, starter switches and motors that cannot be readily sourced should be kept as spares. Certainly the Grizzly products have repair parts in the US warehouse. My departed Minimax 20 had persistent starter switch problems.

That said, if I had any amount of money (and I don't) the Agazzani line would get my Benjamin's.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post

Something to consider if direct importing EU machines - check the motor frequency. My understanding is that EU machines run 50 Hz, hooking up to 60 Hz supply increases speed and also increases heat.

12. Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    If your shop files as an LLC, you should be able to depreciate assets. If the bandsaw is a centerpiece in your shop, choose one that can be repaired easily.

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p94...link1000107308

Main bearings, interlocks, starter switches and motors that cannot be readily sourced should be kept as spares. Certainly the Grizzly products have repair parts in the US warehouse. My departed Minimax 20 had persistent starter switch problems.

That said, if I had any amount of money (and I don't) the Agazzani line would get my Benjamin's.
    I have an Agazzani B20. Been happy with it and the support I have gotten from Eagle tools. Had a problem when it was new with one of the microswitches. Started to deduct which one it was and got fed up and disconnected all of them. It is now approximately 10 years old and on its third start capacitor. Since Agazzani has been sold (correct me if thats incorrect) parts are difficult to find. Three or four years ago I needed thruss bearings and had a hard time finding them. Eagle tools even asked where I found them.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    Something to consider if direct importing EU machines - check the motor frequency. My understanding is that EU machines run 50 Hz, hooking up to 60 Hz supply increases speed and also increases heat.
    As I understand it, an electric motor built for 50hz will have a higher impedance when plugged into 60hz mains so it will just draw less current and develop minimally less power. On a 2-3hp motor being used intermittently, the difference would be largely unnoticeable. I've also seen some Italian-made CEG motors that have ratings for both frequencies on the same plate.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    As I understand it, an electric motor built for 50hz will have a higher impedance when plugged into 60hz mains so it will just draw less current and develop minimally less power. On a 2-3hp motor being used intermittently, the difference would be largely unnoticeable. I've also seen some Italian-made CEG motors that have ratings for both frequencies on the same plate.
    I believe that torque remains relatively constant and since rpm increases so does hp. My Italian shaper is rated at 5.5kw @50hz and 6.6kw @ 60hz

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woodmark View Post
    I have an Agazzani B20. Been happy with it and the support I have gotten from Eagle tools. Had a problem when it was new with one of the microswitches. Started to deduct which one it was and got fed up and disconnected all of them. It is now approximately 10 years old and on its third start capacitor. Since Agazzani has been sold (correct me if thats incorrect) parts are difficult to find. Three or four years ago I needed thruss bearings and had a hard time finding them. Eagle tools even asked where I found them.
    Mark, Panhans-Beck in Germany took over Agazzani. They rebranded and sold Agazzani for several years before this. Adding their guides and a few other items to the saws. They have no dealers here as far as I know.