Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What screws are you using

What screws are you using

Hi guys, I googling wood screws and am getting an overload of big box store links to sheet rock screws. I do see the spa screws as well. So I have we a few questions:

Where do you find your wood screws for hardwoods?
    what sizes do you use for mostly 3/4 inch had and softwood as well as plywood? I have been using #6 1 1/4 or #8 x 1 1/4.
    I have always done pilot and counter sink but am reading these sew screws including the spa do not need this because of the thread and tip?
    Is there a chart/web site somewhere that lists what size and thread to use with what board/material?

Thanks for the help, I honestly did google some nutlike I said am getting bunch of ads to sheetrock screws ...

I think you're talking about Spax screws? I know some people really like those, but I've bought a ton of GRK R4 screws (https://www.grkfasteners.com/product...-purpose-screw) and use them for essentially everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Ditto................ ......

Yes sorry, apparently my x isn't working ...

Blog Entries
    McFeelys has a lot of screws avaialble, but is the price point that good? Also I wonder why they only sell the square drive heads and not star drives.
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Blog Entries
    I used to use the zinc plated philips head wood screws. They worked fine, but occasionally striped out when power driving them. I switched to GRK or SPAX screws now and have no regrets. The Spax or GRK screws work very well with our without a power driver. I've never had one break or strip out. Best of all I can buy them locally. I use mostly # 8 x 1/-1/4 for my projects.

I would never use dry wall screw for anything other than hanging drywall. They are brittle, have threads full length and rust easily.

I looked at McFeely's but felt their prices were too high and shipping added more cost.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 12-27-2020 at 9:37 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    McFeelys has a lot of screws avaialble, but is the price point that good? Also I wonder why they only sell the square drive heads and not star drives.
    I’m seeing the star drive (torx) mainly for decking and heavy duty items since they can handle more torque. Square drives are for hidden applications in woodworking.

I use the Phillips gold construction screws from Menards for anything 1" and over where I can. I keep a 5 pound box each of 1", 1 1/4", 1 5/8", 2", 2 1/2", an 3" on hand. For larger, I have some 3 1/2" and 4" Torx drive deck screws. Anything longer than that gets a lag, carriage, or hex bolt.

Under 1" I typically use 1/2", 5/8", or 3/4" drawer screws from Rockler. If I need pan or round head, I will typically use a sheet metal screw (I have a large amount on hand for other reasons).

I have a couple drawers of various size "actual" tapered wood screws for when I need to match a size and style, but in general I hate tapered screws, and slotted ones are a particular dislike.

Blog Entries
    I have McFeely’s square drive, GRK, and Spax. I like all 3. I use the McFeely’s for the smaller screw needs. My goto is the GRK for more structural strength but the Spax work just as good.
    It is pretty much required to drill pilot holes in hardwood. I often don’t when I’m using pine or other softwoods.
    Last edited by Eric Arnsdorff; 12-28-2020 at 12:19 AM.

I'm partial to WoodPro All Purpose Construction screws. http://bandceagle.com/fasteners.php?...ackaged_screws The features I like include:

- Star drive
    - The threads do not extend all the way to the screw head
    - Nibs on the bottom of the screw head to help with retention of the screw into the wood

+2 for Mcfeely's.

I use mostly #8, 1 1/4" lubricated.

Predrilled stock, with countersink.

I have a lot of the screws woodcraft sells. All the woodworking screw, none of the self drilling points. Unlike the cheap wood screws home depot sells, I have no issue driving a long screw with my impact driver without breaking it. I'm partial to the black oxide finish, but I also have a good number of the dry lube ones. Either way I make a conscious effort to put paste wax on the tip before driving them because it makes it so much easier.

I've heard that they're really close to the ones McFeely's sells. Those are good screws too, but I'd rather support my local woodcraft.

Spax and GRK for general purpose construction, Most wood screws are fine in hardwood if you pre-drill the right size holes (in anything I care about I always do two different sizes, one that just fits the screw for the top piece, and one a step or two smaller, depending on the wood, for where the threads bite in.)

I found a good (though not cheap) source for NOS and recovered slotted, cut screws for projects where a phillips, torx or Robertson head creates a jarring anachronism, BlacksmithBolt.com There's nothing worse on a real antique or quality reproduction you are trying to make than a bright cadmium coated Phillips head screw.