Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What screws are you using

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Good article! Thank you!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

McFeely's, although lately there's been a few sizes (mostly 3/4") that for odd reasons they don't stock, so I've had to go elsewhere.

For big structural stuff, GRK and sometimes Spax.

For sizes, I use them all. I have a drawer with about 40 separate compartments to cover everything from #4 - #12. But #8 or #10 is most commonly used.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I mostly use screws from McFeeley's, typically square drive which is "my" shop standard. If have to by local, I buy the higher quality construction grade screws, typically with Torx/star drive.

Drywall screws are cheap and attractive, but they are brittle and not designed for woodworking. Rather, they are optimized for holding up drywall. They cam-out easily and snap off even easier.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

1/2-1 Spax (dont love them kind of soft)
    GRK are always available at HD for anything bigger than 1"(and have performed very well for me and cost isnt bad)

I may place an order from mcfeelys eventually to stock/replace all the smaller sizes.

Another vote for McFeely's square drive. Reasonably priced and work great. I keep my stock of screws in various sizes in Harbor Freight Sortimo-style bins.

I use construction screws from menards with Philips heads. Everything in my world is fastened with philips head screws, and while I would like to use the square or torx screws, having to change bits all the time would drive me nuts. I had to repair a drawer slide and emptied the cabinet, crammed myself into the cabinet on my back and found that I needed a square drive. Trying to explain to my wife what I wanted and where it was in the shop almost ended our marriage. I didn't know she could string those words together that well. Very creative.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Another good source for slotted head bronze, brass and steel screws are marine supply places.
    https://www.jamestowndistributors.co...rews-and-bolts

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    Excellent article. Thanks for posting the link.
    After the revolution, who's going to pick up the garbage on Monday morning?
    --Mierle Laderman Ukeles--

Kwik screws. Bought from cabinet supply shop. Any cabinet shop should be using something similar.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    I use construction screws from menards with Philips heads. Everything in my world is fastened with philips head screws, and while I would like to use the square or torx screws, having to change bits all the time would drive me nuts. I had to repair a drawer slide and emptied the cabinet, crammed myself into the cabinet on my back and found that I needed a square drive. Trying to explain to my wife what I wanted and where it was in the shop almost ended our marriage. I didn't know she could string those words together that well. Very creative.
    One of the nice things about McFeely is the dual square/philips drive. I get to use square drive in the shop, but can rest assured that anyone else who has to deal with my work will have the proper drive. I absolutely despise those Torx screws. I must have five different sizes of torx bit and can never guess which is the correct one.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Much good info here as well as some good links so I have some homework to do .... Thanks again...

John, whatever you decide to buy, just be sure to buy quality screws. They do make things more pleasant for you, the woodworker, and the correct fastener will also provide a better result, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use type 17 exterior wood screws for everything. They have star drive (torx) and a self drilling point. I like the star drive because they don't cam out very much at all. I do predrill hardwood, but not softwood. -Howard

I try to use square drive for everything. The square drive screws from Rockler are very good.
    Charlie Jones

Blog Entries
    I'm presently using these from Amazon. They had fairly good reviews and the few that I have used seem to work O.K.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution