Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Rigid Planer is "obsolete". Can't find rollers......

My Rigid Planer is "obsolete". Can't find rollers......

I think the model number is a TP13000. It was one of their first. I have not ever had a problem with this planer, and it still works fine. The infeed and outfeed rollers, however, are not grabbing the material that well anymore. I have to "coax" the boards at times. I thought I'd just replace the rollers, ordered a set and just found out the set of rollers I bought are for one of the newer planers. After a more careful search, yep, the rollers are no longer manufactured and obsolete.

Seems like a waste to buy a new planer because I can't get stupid roller..... I ended up cleaning both with some acetone while I had them out. The outfeed does not look bad at all. The infeed does have some scoring. And yes, I do wax the bed.

Any suggestions?

Michael, I have one of the same planers. You might try contacting CUTECH as they have I think the design for the TP1300. CUtech's 40200H seems to be the same planer and IIRC, guys have bought sprial head upgrade kits for the TP1300 from CUTECH. Subscribe to the following thread for future reference: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-TP1300-Planer .
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 12-27-2020 at 9:15 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Drew View Post
    I think the model number is a TP13000. It was one of their first. I have not ever had a problem with this planer, and it still works fine. The infeed and outfeed rollers, however, are not grabbing the material that well anymore. I have to "coax" the boards at times. I thought I'd just replace the rollers, ordered a set and just found out the set of rollers I bought are for one of the newer planers. After a more careful search, yep, the rollers are no longer manufactured and obsolete.

Seems like a waste to buy a new planer because I can't get stupid roller..... I ended up cleaning both with some acetone while I had them out. The outfeed does not look bad at all. The infeed does have some scoring. And yes, I do wax the bed.

Any suggestions?
    Are these rollers a metal tube with rubber bonded to the OD of the tube? Just thinking out loud, I wonder if this is a standard industry conveyor roller that you could source from some one like these guys? Don't know about the durometer of the rubber etc, but I assume Rigid could provide that info. Not sure how cost effective it would be to do it this way even if you could?

https://omni.com/products/conveyor-rollers/

Brian
    Brian

I recalled someone previously discussing having some rollers refurbished. So I googled
    > Reconditioning machine rollers < Several companies came up. I don't know anything about doing this, but it might be an option if the price is low - one company claimed to do jobs as small as $50.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Western Roller will strip off the rubber and replace them with urathane. I had 2 rollers done on my JPM-13 years ago. Excellent company to work with.

Might try waxing the bed, installing new knives, and clean the rollers before you disassemble the machine. That has worked for me in the past. Good luck.

You should be careful cleaning rubber with acetone. The chemicals could easily hasten the death of them. I use Simple Green and it works very well. Water based.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Michael, I have one of the same planers. You might try contacting CUTECH as they have I think the design for the TP1300. CUtech's 40200H seems to be the same planer and IIRC, guys have bought sprial head upgrade kits for the TP1300 from CUTECH. Subscribe to the following thread for future reference: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-TP1300-Planer .
    Thanks! I should have spent more time searching......

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    Western Roller will strip off the rubber and replace them with urathane. I had 2 rollers done on my JPM-13 years ago. Excellent company to work with.
    That might be a great option. Down side is no planer to use for whatever time period that all takes.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Runau View Post
    Are these rollers a metal tube with rubber bonded to the OD of the tube? Just thinking out loud, I wonder if this is a standard industry conveyor roller that you could source from some one like these guys? Don't know about the durometer of the rubber etc, but I assume Rigid could provide that info. Not sure how cost effective it would be to do it this way even if you could?

https://omni.com/products/conveyor-rollers/

Brian
    Not a tube. Solid bar stock, with machined areas for bearings, keyways and retaining clip groves. I could not use the "new" Rigid planer rollers I bought, due to the center/center spacing where the bearing block registers is 1/2" shorter than the TP1300.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I recalled someone previously discussing having some rollers refurbished. So I googled
    > Reconditioning machine rollers < Several companies came up. I don't know anything about doing this, but it might be an option if the price is low - one company claimed to do jobs as small as $50.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Lindsey View Post
    Might try waxing the bed, installing new knives, and clean the rollers before you disassemble the machine. That has worked for me in the past. Good luck.
    Did that first. I've cleaned the rollers a few times, while in the machine. Never did a great job.....

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    You should be careful cleaning rubber with acetone. The chemicals could easily hasten the death of them. I use Simple Green and it works very well. Water based.
    I thought of that, but it didn't harm them. I only used a small amount on a rag.

From experience servicing the reel-to-reel data tape drives, alcohol will harden rubber capstans making them slip. When a rubber capstan got dirty, I'd clean it with alcohol one time and order a replacement. The initial cleaning would work for a short period and then the drive would start experiencing data errors due to slippage on the hardened rubber. I'd stay away from solvents and try soaps and water.
    Ken

Thanks! I should have spent more time searching......
    No problem. I read the thread when it started and with that Ridgid planer, I subscribed to the thread for future reference for my own selfish use.
    Ken

I sent an email to Cutech this morning. The infeed roller is out of stock. The outfeed is in stock. I also asked about a spiral cutting head and they will let me know if they can hook me up.

"Hi Michael,

Thank you for reaching out to Cutech. The infeed and outfeed rollers for the Cutech 40200H planer will fit your Ridgid TP1300. The infeed roller is currently out of stock. We are expecting a shipment in mid January.

Infeed roller
    https://cutech.tools/collections/rep...s/rp-40200-104

Outfeed roller
    https://cutech.tools/collections/rep...s/rp-40200-098

Tech service has reached out to our supplier to see if the spiral cutterhead can be made to fit the Ridgid TP 1300. We will be in touch soon as we know more."

Blog Entries
    I have this planer. I have never regretted buying it.

https://www.lowes.com/search?searchT...log=4294607708

I sent an email to Cutech this morning. The infeed roller is out of stock. The outfeed is in stock. I also asked about a spiral cutting head and they will let me know if they can hook me up.

"Hi Michael,

Thank you for reaching out to Cutech. The infeed and outfeed rollers for the Cutech 40200H planer will fit your Ridgid TP1300. The infeed roller is currently out of stock. We are expecting a shipment in mid January.

Infeed roller
    https://cutech.tools/collections/rep...s/rp-40200-104

Outfeed roller
    https://cutech.tools/collections/rep...s/rp-40200-098

Tech service has reached out to our supplier to see if the spiral cutterhead can be made to fit the Ridgid TP 1300. We will be in touch soon as we know more."
    Michael, please update this thread with information concerning the spiral cutterhead update. I would love to do that to mine too!
    Ken

Michael, do you have a reference source (Youtube video, etc) that shows how to tear the planer apart for the roller replacement?