Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toro Snowmaster?

Back in 1971 my dad bought an Atlas snowblower, it was an all-metal single-stage, just one auger that spun so fast you couldn't see it when it was running. If the motor was running the auger was rotating. Only the drive wheels were engage-able. Not once ever did I or anyone else have to stop and clean the chute, that thing kept the chute clear by brute force. The only thing that ever stopped it was a railroad spike one of the kids left on the driveway. Stopped the thing so suddenly the engine's flywheel sheared its woodruff key. No replaceable shear pins in those days. I replaced the key and used it another 10 years. Ended up giving it to my neighbor when I couldn't start it and bought an MGD. (turned out to be bad gas). I think the neighbor's still using the thing...

I now have a 3-stage Cub Cadet--
    CUB3X.jpg
    While I'd love to give it glowing reviews, I can't. As to everything except throwing snow it's wonderful! Joystick chute maneuvering, wheel unlocking (power steering), headlight, heated hand grips-- and the thing IS wonderful at blowing fresh powder. But we never get fresh powder, our snow is always wet, and the other thing it's wonderful at is packing wet snow in the chute until it's plugged tight. It came with a chute-cleaning tool. IMO it shouldn't NEED a chute cleaning tool. And I won't even get started on how many shear pins I've replaced. (Of course, many of those busted pins are my fault )

The single stage machines these days, they work, but those with a chute are worse than my Cub. And those that only shoot snow forward, not good on large driveways.

If I was smart I'd re-invent that old Atlas and start making the things
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

This year after the first snow I had so many stones in the yard I finally got around to making new skids for it. The ones that came on it were about 1 inch wide and would dig in the ones I made are 3.5 inches wide and a little longer I just welded them to the bottom of the original skids. I just used it Christmas day and boy does it work good easier to turn and no stones flying everywhere

Got to see a Snowmaster in person. I’m sure they’re fine, but it just doesn’t feel substantial enough and for a couple hundred bucks I can avoid potential regret.

Ordered a new two stage.

Thanks for the replies.

Good decision Nathan.

All of the inexpensive two stage snow blowers seem to be pretty low quality like the Snowmaster. I spent the big bucks to get a Toro commercial two stage snow blower last winter. I'm not saying everybody should get the expensive commercial model, but the ones around the $1,500 mark or a bit above seem to be a lot nicer. I probably would have been fine with a $1,500 model, but my commercial unit really blows snow. It easier blows the snow 30 or 40 feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    All of the inexpensive two stage snow blowers seem to be pretty low quality like the Snowmaster. I spent the big bucks to get a Toro commercial two stage snow blower last winter. I'm not saying everybody should get the expensive commercial model, but the ones around the $1,500 mark or a bit above seem to be a lot nicer. I probably would have been fine with a $1,500 model, but my commercial unit really blows snow. It easier blows the snow 30 or 40 feet.
    I easily get 30+ feet with my economy line Ariens now.
    I really didn't want to buy a new one at all, so I didn't consider the HD line, despite their obvious upgrades.

I went with the Toro 826 OAE. Kind of jazzed to try the auto steer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    I easily get 30+ feet with my economy line Ariens now.
    I really didn't want to buy a new one at all, so I didn't consider the HD line, despite their obvious upgrades.

I went with the Toro 826 OAE. Kind of jazzed to try the auto steer.
    I had a pre-MTD Troy-Bilt unit until it broke an obsolete part. Great heavy duty snow blower that only cost maybe $700 new in 2001. It didn't blow snow all that far and I just figured all snow blowers were like that. I grew up using a Toro single stage snow blower that would blow snow six to eight feet on a good day. I was absolutely amazed how far my new Toro commercial snow blower would blow snow compared to what I had used in the past.

Blog Entries
    I have a little single stage Toro, a Powerclear I think, and it is great for my needs; just about 800 sq. ft. of driveway & sidewalk with few heavy snowfalls. Always starts on the first pull.

But, it's limitations become quite clear when we get an overnight 40 cm dump of heavy snow like we did last week

New toy arrived. I suppose now it won't snow the rest of the year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I get my snowblower out and running each year. I have no problem if I do not need it and actually am quite happy.

As I get older and have a terrible back, I got a service to do my driveway and sidewalk. I only do a small place for my mini dachshund who has short legs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    New toy arrived. I suppose now it won't snow the rest of the year.
    Years ago when we first lived in our current house. It was a year of record snowfall. I shoveled our driveway by hand. It eventually took 2 hours in the morning to get out and two at night to get back in. Our driveway was so narrow that when my parents come for my Wife's birthday (Feb 3), my dad had to let my Mom out while on the road and was just able to get the car (Buick LaSabre) off the road and get out by scraping the passenger side against the snow bank. I finally convinced my wife that we needed a snow blower. We went out and bought a 5 Hp Toro two stage. You guessed it, I had to wait until the following year to actually use it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute