Thread: Dust collection dust bin question

Dust collection dust bin question

I have very small shop and need to take advantage of space above. I want to mount my dust collector and cyclone high with my dust bin on the floor. Does the distance between the cyclone exit and the dust bin impact the performance? The distance of pipe will be ~
    6'.

Hi Scott, no it does not affect performance. Just make sure this pipe is large enough so it doesn’t plug if you are planing. Also, minimizing the amount of hose will help reduce the chance of plugging.

The good thing about this is that you can fill the dust bin to the top without worry of re-entrainment since it will be so far from the bottom of the cone.

No issues with the distance, but the requirement remains that there can be zero leakage between the cone and the bin, including the bin, itself. I helped a local friend mount her cyclone in the upstairs of her shop building with the bin on the floor down in the shop, actually.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Scott -- Jim and Michael have answered your question. Now, let me ask you one: Why put the bin on the shop floor. Faced with the same problem, I chose to suspend the DC from the ceiling. The lid of the dust bin (35 gallon barrel) is directly attached to the bottom of the cone of the cyclone. The barrel is supported by some wedges between the bottom of the barrel and a tool cabinet. Emptying the bin isn't as easy as it might have been had I placed the bin on the floor, but I thought the extra tool storage was worth it. Besides, my HF lift table makes getting the dust bin on and off the tool cabinet none too difficult. I'm asking because, while my approach works, I may be missing a better alternative.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

My HF DC is a few inches from the ceiling with a super dust deputy below it and then a tall shop made box with wheels below that. The box ended up over 4 feet tall so it doesn't have to be emptied as often. Planning will fill it fairly quickly, however.

You could have some storage between the bin on the floor and the collector overhead. This means the dust pipe/hose goes thru the storage so you may need to make a special tool cabinet or clamp rack but your tool storage will not be at floor level.

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. David, I thought having the bin high, but I am concerned about emptying it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott B Wilson View Post
    Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. David, I thought having the bin high, but I am concerned about emptying it.
    I agree with your concerns. My 35 gallon barrel gets heavier every year ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler