Thread: Noden adjust-a-bench storage

Noden adjust-a-bench storage

Looking for ideas on how best to utilize space under the bench.

Geoff and I were actually talking about this when he visited here this past fall. He has a number of folks who have full cabinets under the bench and the top of the cabinet can be nearly the height of the lowest bench setting. (The new Craftsman's Hardware Kit version potentially lends itself to a cabinet build, too) What you do need to work out is how best to insure that you either accommodate the torsion rods (the threaded rods) that normally keep the two ends parallel and not racking or replace them with adequate structure to accomplish the same.

For my main bench, I just have a shelf with some additional fixturing to store dogs, etc. I originally intended to do a cabinet, but, well...never got around to it.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, Nice looking bench! Along with my regular bench I also purchased the 1-rail option but never installed it. I was concerned that it would introduce instability. Since going without the casters the bench feels more solid so perhaps the one-rail makes sense to try. What do you think? it would give more room for an under-bench cabinet. I just want to make sure I can still achieve lateral stability (i.e. hand planing across the benchtop).

If your bench is used frequently for hand-tool work that puts lateral forces onto the assembly (as hand planing does), they you want things as study and stiff as you can make them. Adding mass down low, as with a stout cabinet, can't hurt, either. I'm not sure that the one-rail setup is going to fit that bill. I will say that now that I have the heavier benchtop than my original one, I get only minimal movement when I do pull out the hand-planes (I'm only a light user of them) as compared to previously. As noted, there are no wheels on the floor when I'm not actively moving it around. I'm considering adding some larger feet with non-skid surface on them to the end panels so that when the bench is stationary (most of the time), there will be even more grip than is possible now.
    --

On my Noden benches, I put 3/4" Maple along the bottom, between the angle irons.
    It holds the Hefty type plastic containers, boxes, small vac, etc.
    I like Jims idea of adding another shelf along the wood supporting the threaded rods...
    not possible on my MFT top version, but will work on the finished top version.
    having stuff accessible is so helpful.... wish they made a spring to reduce the weight of the pull up, as when you add heavy tops, they are heavy to lift up.

nodens.jpg

d92e39c8c8dba057cb2fcef99888ccdd.jpg
    I just ordered one as well. I’m planning to build a cabinet based on the one in this old American Woodworker magazine. I’ll follow up with a post when I get it done. https://fdocuments.us/document/ameri...mber-2007.html
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

That will be a really nice setup, Bryan. Did you order the original version or the Craftsman Hardware package?
    --

I ordered the original version. I’ll probably adjust the cabinet storage layout for my needs but that plan is probably the best idea I’ve seen to add storage to one of those benches. Mine will primarily be a out feed and assembly table. I also plan to add workbench casters to the cabinet rather than the Noden caster kits that are optional. By the way there’s free shipping on those bench kits now for the holidays.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Sounds great, Bryan. I have both versions; the original from many years ago on my main bench and the Craftsman Hardware Kit that I was able to obtain from Geoff early on which is under my auxiliary bench which is used for downdraft sanding as well as for flat top assembly/support/material-movement and for my pocket screw jig. (three different table insert systems. I have the Noden mobility kit on the main bench and rolled my own for the auxiliary bench. It's nice to have choices!
    --