Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharpening Station Helper

Sharpening Station Helper

Silicone mat with a rim in three sizes. Reasonable price too. I'm thinking it will make a good mess saver for my sharpening station. Once received I'll post my impressions.

https://www.amazon.com/DogBuddy-Sili...55&sr=8-3&th=1
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I tried using a mat like that, but I found that the stones would slide around on it when wet. I ended up getting one with raised ribs made by OXO, and it's been working well for me.

oxo-mat.jpg

Blog Entries
    Mine has been in use for more than a decade.

It was sold at Target as an automobile floor mat.

The image at Amazon shows it being washed in a sink. For use with water stones that may not be the best place to clean a mat. The swarf could cause a problem with the plumbing.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Winston Chang View Post
    I tried using a mat like that, but I found that the stones would slide around on it when wet. I ended up getting one with raised ribs made by OXO, and it's been working well for me.

oxo-mat.jpg
    That looks like a good bet too. Where did you find it?

Some more ideas to consider, (the alternatives may fit someone's space or preference better.)

Christopher Schwarz uses and recommends an Ikea Boot Tray. I'm sure you can search the blog at Lost Art Press and find specifics.

Yoav Liberman had a article on Pop Wood's website, Inexpensive Mat for Your Wet Sharpening Needs, suggesting Munchkin Silicone Placemats for Kids for this purpose.

Haven't tried either of these, yet at least, I picked up the silicone mat Woodcraft introduced a while back and have been using it. (But even at the intro price it wasn't as good a deal as some of these suggestions.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    That looks like a good bet too. Where did you find it?
    I got it from Target, though it appears to be available from Amazon as well. I think there may be old and new versions that have slightly different rib patterns, but I think they should work the same.

https://www.target.com/p/oxo-silicon...e/-/A-13291919
    https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Lar.../dp/B004ZLAG54

There are also some similar generic drying mats available on Amazon. If you decide to go that route, I suggest making sure that the ribs aren't too tall or thin -- if they are, the stone may shift back and forth as you move the blade back and forth on it. The OXO drying mat has relatively thick ribs, so this isn't really an issue with that mat.

The good old dollar tree has varieties of mats for.... $1
    I just picked up what is supposed to be a entry way mat ( I think) it's only like 24"l x like 15" wide. Has a semi sticky bottom and rough short carpeted top. Thinking it'll work perfect for my oil stones and the price was right!

That’s a good idea! I’ll be interested in hearing what you think after you try it. I have my diamond stones set into a piece of plywood, but I still get a bit of a mess on my sharpening bench.

A tray to keep the water and swarth off the bench, that is a good idea. Probably better than my put the stone on the Formica top and brace it against the Tormek method

I use old time school cafeteria trays. With a piece of rubber shelf liner, there is no sliding around. I have a few, and one is attached to a piece of plywood, with a 2 X 2 under it so it can be held in a vice. It works great. Tom

I use a Dycem mat:

https://www.amazon.com/Dycem-Non-Sli.../dp/B00294OJ1G

Sorry for the gargantuan photo size. This mat works well enough: waterproof and if the waterstones aren't dripping wet on the bottom, they don't slide.

But I'm intrigued by the little rim around the edge of the Dog Buddy, so let us know how it works, Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    A tray to keep the water and swarth off the bench, that is a good idea. Probably better than my put the stone on the Formica top and brace it against the Tormek method
    Yup. That's the intent. I expect I'll lay a sheet of shelf liner on the bottom to enhance the non-skid aspect and keep the stones out of the mess. The main goal is to preserve the melamine table top.

Also look at rubber pavers. Very cheap. I purchased one - they can be quite large - and cut it to fit my sharpening bench. One side is coarser, and that is perfect for preventing anything sliding on it.

Regards from Perth

Derek

My sharpening center helper is a 92" long stainless steel sink, which is really mostly drainboard, with a small sink at one end. It has three faucets, and a small water heater. It's also portable, and gets moved from one old house job, to the next. It gets used for other things besides sharpening too. No trap, and drains to a pile of sawdust outside.

My diamond stones are let in to an old HDPE cutting board and I wipe the Krud Cutter and swarf off them often so I don't need a mat under them.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.