Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sharpening Station Helper

The rubber paver on my draining board ...

Close up ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

That looks like a nice setup Derek. I wish I had a sink it my shop area. It would simplify things. That's one of the reasons I went with the Shapton stones. Just a spritz will take care of them.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The rubber paver on my draining board ...

Close up ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Shop Sink- I'm sooo jealous!

The brown truck showed up today with a couple treats. The silicone matt will work out great. It's pretty grippy but I still lined the bottom with a a bit of non skid shelf lined to keep everything out of the wet. It has a 5/8" tall rim and I'm guessing will hold a quart of liquid if need be. My 6K Shapton showed up too and it makes a good fit between the 1000 grit diamond and the 16K Shapton. I won't need to use the 1000 grit much unless I need to fully restore a bevel. I got inspired and sharpened everything in my shop I hadn't already done. I need to start a new project.

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Rob, that’s a nice looking setup. Is that the tray you mentioned in your first post? What size did you get? Do the stones stay in place without too much movement?

I’m assuming that you are following Rob Cosman’s sharpening recommendations based on the Diamond and Shapton stones you have. I finally decided to ditch my 3M films and ordered the exact same stones that you have based on his videos, should be here next week. After I placed my order, Rob called me personally to thank me, now that’s impressive!

I went with mdf covered by shelf liner and poplar. When it gets too gross I'll make a new one.
    (Just imagine it's right side up. Picture fail.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Happy New Year Tim -

That's the Silicone tray I linked to in the first post. It's the small version (19 x 12). It's pretty grippy but I still lined the bottom with a a bit of non skid shelf liner to keep everything out of the wet.

I recently adopted the Cosman method (link to that post here) after using glass blocks and 3M film for years. I did add an intermediate stone between the 1000 and 16K as he discussed in the video, but went with a 6K instead of a 4K he suggested. I find the 1000 grit is overkill for the initial work unless the edge is totally shot.

Since these showed up I've sharpened every edge tool I have. I have a mix of A2, O1, and PM-V11. I'm a believer. The process goes really quick and edge quality is excellent. I have been finishing with a few strokes on a Horse Butt strop charged with a little Flexcut Gold compound.

Wanted some weight under the rubber mat and a good height. Granite on substantial poplar legs, it does not move.
    The granite is supported on 3 contact points, the underside edge has a silicone bead of calk to act as a drip edge. The drawer has honing compound, bandaids etc. The ridged rubber mat is simple and stops slip.
    A12CA558-6AE2-4625-94C3-6454FB16C5C9.jpg
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!