Thread: Good Working Height

Good Working Height

Just ordered my first CNC - a hobbyist, OneFinity machine...it will be mostly to play with but I might end up doing small one-off projects for local clients. I happen to already have a 4x5 torsion box table previously used as an assembly table I thought I would put the CNC on, but it is only 26 inches in height. What do you find to be a good working height for your machine?

How thick is the table on the CNC? Does it rely on your base to be rigid? Since you don't really do much work on the the CNC table besides securing the workpiece height won't be super critical. Unless it will be an issue loading the work on it. How high is your work bench? Is that height comfortable for you?

I built a mobile base for my CNC and set the spoilboard height at 36", the same as my kitchen cabinets. I am 6'3" tall and find this to be a comfortable height. I installed my kitchen cabinets taller for the same reason (my wife is also taller). If you are shorter, perhaps a typical kitchen counter height is a good height if that feels comfortable to you.

My Camaster's general working height is about 33" from the floor.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for replies...think I'll build up another torsion box to bring the height up. I'm 5'-11", but find as the years go by the floor gets farther and farther away when I bend over.

Many of us that are, um....more mature...benefit from higher surfaces that require less bending when that doesn't interfere with function. Do a mockup with whatever materials you can to figure out what is comfortable for you. Keep in mind that with the CNC, your "bending over the machine" will largely be only during the time when you are fixing material to the spoilboard (or removing cut items) and changing tooling.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I built mine at 36" from the floor. You will want a comfortable working height with your machine.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.