Thread: C-Flux 3

C-Flux 3

I spent some time building my c-Flux 3 yesterday, which is a nice upgrade from the delta 2 bag model I role around to each machine. The instructions need some minor improvements but nothing that left me with 'huh, what'. However to make assembly a bit easier, tool companies, esp when putting together tools with significant parts need to use Lego's instructions as an example.

I am glad to see an improvement in the model I purchased vs the review I saw on you tube. The collection barrel in the you tube review was assembled with sheet metal screws and had plastic caps to help protect the screws from tearing open a collection bag used inside the drum. The change is now they use a machine screw with a hexcap nut, which protects any torn bags. Good job there, although for some of the screws, you need to people unless your arms are 4 feet long. Not a big deal.

I'll have assembly and running the new circuit finished today and that will be able to finish my dust collection measurements and parts list. I've put together a few designs in my head so far and once I have the DC in it's physical space i'll be able to finalize which plan I go with.

Hopefully this help my lungs and keeping dust down in the shop, which does spread to the house. I just hope I can get all of the ducting done before the tile shows up for the bathroom remodel my wife wants!
    Last edited by Justin Rapp; 12-26-2020 at 8:22 AM.

We've been through like 8 of them at work. I have nothing but good things to say about them, especially with fine dust handling.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    We've been through like 8 of them at work. I have nothing but good things to say about them, especially with fine dust handling.
    You've been trough 8 of them, so are they going bad and getting replaced, or just now have 8 of them? I got it wired up this afternoon and it's dang loud for the space I have. Well, better to have some noise pollution cured by ear-muffs than coughing fits.

Justin, How did you choose the C-Flux 3? I may be in the market for a new DC with a month or two. I'd be interested in any comparisons you made between brands/models and why you ultimately chose the C-Flux.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Justin, How did you choose the C-Flux 3? I may be in the market for a new DC with a month or two. I'd be interested in any comparisons you made between brands/models and why you ultimately chose the C-Flux.
    Lisa,

I have been looking to upgrade my DC for a long time. I was going to get a single stage, maybe JET or Grizzly with a filter vs the bags i have now on my smaller DC. I also find that moving my DC from machine to machine is very cumbersome, so that really means ducting and a 2hp was not really going to pull from my two port bandsaw about 30 duct feet as well as I want.

So that means 3hp and mine as well go to a cyclone.

- On my list were the Jet 3hp, Laguna 3hp, Grizzly's 3hp (both the stationary and portable/rolling model). I also peeked at Baileigh and researched Onieda V-systems. Baileigh didn't thrill me and Onieda was just a bit out of my price point however i think the best.

- So the stationary Grizzly was backordered, and i'd have to use the smaller barrel to fit the height, but that would have been ok.

-The portable grizzly was the least expensive and was about to pull the trigger but saw some reviews from people that had the unit and it turned me off. Quality just isn't there and not worth it to me to save a few hundred dollars to get a machine I might or might not have issues with.

- This left me with Jet and Laguna. The Jet has a slightly shorter cone from the measurements and while I am sure sturdy, just looked a big flimsy in the frame.

So - a number of factors sealed the deal with Laguna.
    - I have 2 other Laguna tools (also have 2 other JET tools) and find the quality to be what i'd expect for the price.
    - When i was talking with Onieda, the person helping me said they bought and built a c-flux to learn about the competition and they thought they had some real comp with a few exceptions. So - close 2nd to the best in the business sounds pretty good to me.
    - A few items that did bother me, like the viewing window, used to be on the outside of the dust-drum, now move to the inside. I heard there were issues with the viewing window leaking air due to outward pressure when the machine runs, now on the inside, it's sealed. Also the drum used to have sheet metal screws with rubber caps to protect the bag, now has machine screes and hexcap nuts - no more ripped dust drum bags.
    - When I talked to the retailer I was planning to order from, they also recommended the Laguna over Jet.
    - Lastly - despite what other's have said about Laguna customer service, so far the few times I have sent them questions about my machines and even the DC before I ordered it, they have been fantastic with e-mail responses and returned phone calls.

If you do have any more questions - feel free to reach out.

Justin,

Thank you so much. That was exactly the type of information I was looking for. I'm currently running a small ducted system powered by a HF 2hp w/ the upgraded 15" impeller and Oneida Cyclone. It is barely adequate, but I may not be able to improve it much with the 5" spiral ducting currently in place. Unfortunately, I did not think I was going to be in a position to upgrade the DC and replacing the 5" is currently out of the question. Again, Thank You.

Justin,

Thank you so much. That was exactly the type of information I was looking for. I'm currently running a small ducted system powered by a HF 2hp w/ the upgraded 15" impeller and Oneida Cyclone. It is barely adequate, but I may not be able to improve it much with the 5" spiral ducting currently in place. Unfortunately, I did not think I was going to be in a position to upgrade the DC and replacing the 5" is currently out of the question. Again, Thank You.
    If you are running 5" duct and can't replace at least the main trunk with a larger diameter, upgrading might not help much since the ducting is the limit. Upgrading your main trunk to a 6 or 8 inch and than branch off to the 5" duct you have would be ideal if you upgrade to a cflux.

I am planning out my ducting and going with 8" duct for my main trunk and down to 6" for the branches.

What is the reasoning for running the larger main trunk? Going off memory, but I think you need about 1500 CFM in an 8” vs 800 CFM in a 6” for 4000 FPM velocity. So you will need (2) 6” ports open.

Or, if pulling 1500 CFM thru a single 6”, the SP losses almost quadruple what it would be at 800 CFM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    What is the reasoning for running the larger main trunk? Going off memory, but I think you need about 1500 CFM in an 8” vs 800 CFM in a 6” for 4000 FPM velocity. So you will need (2) 6” ports open.

Or, if pulling 1500 CFM thru a single 6”, the SP losses almost quadruple what it would be at 800 CFM.
    So, are you saying I should just reduce right to 6" coming out of the machine? So far everything I have read says stay larger diameter as far as you can. The main trunk isn't that long. My current plan is to come out of the machine with a WYE. This goes about a foot and will have be split to 3 machines that are nearby with blast gates. The other leg of the wye will have a short span than turn (pair of 45's) to the ceiling and will run 6 feet where I split the 8" trunk into 2 6" trunks. One to the bandsaw that has 2 four inch ports and will have a 6" blast gate, the other 6" will run to the miter saw dust shoot and the jointer (split two a pair of 4" each with their own blast gate.

I would stay 6” unless you plan to run 2 tools at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    So, are you saying I should just reduce right to 6" coming out of the machine? So far everything I have read says stay larger diameter as far as you can. The main trunk isn't that long. My current plan is to come out of the machine with a WYE. This goes about a foot and will have be split to 3 machines that are nearby with blast gates. The other leg of the wye will have a short span than turn (pair of 45's) to the ceiling and will run 6 feet where I split the 8" trunk into 2 6" trunks. One to the bandsaw that has 2 four inch ports and will have a 6" blast gate, the other 6" will run to the miter saw dust shoot and the jointer (split two a pair of 4" each with their own blast gate.

Your current plan is a good plan
    Ron

Justin,

Lisa , I'd love to hear about your impeller upgrade . Getting bigger impellers on smaller motors can be an adventure . Can you share details ?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Your current plan is a good plan
    Ron
    I did change out one run in my plan and also decided to go with all 6" duct. For my short runs and with a 3hp machine, it will be pretty efficient.

Justin,

Hi Lisa
    Sounds like you might get above 'barely adequate' by looking for tweaks. Look for leaks and tight spots in your ducting. A new fitting or two and replacing some hose with hard pipe may help. Then look at getting better capture at the source.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Hi Lisa
    Sounds like you might get above 'barely adequate' by looking for tweaks. Look for leaks and tight spots in your ducting. A new fitting or two and replacing some hose with hard pipe may help. Then look at getting better capture at the source.
    Tom,

Was this for Lisa or for me? If it was my tweaks, the only change was reducing the main trunk which was about all of about 8 feet of duct or so down from 8" to 6" to increase the air velocity since I won't be leaving multiple blast gates open at multiple tools. I also just made one more change where I was going to be having 3 machines branch off close to the collector, it's now two as I found a better way to duct in the 3rd tool and increase that branch from 4" to 6".

There is no tight spots planned for my duct work, all 90's are long 90's with paired 45's, smoke pipe wye's (no flow restrictions) at branches and there won't be leaks due to duct mastic and aluminum foil hvac tape (not 'duct' tape). There might be one actual 90 duct right at the planner but the planner also has it's own built in fan for ejecting dust. Well see how it works. As far as flex hose, they will all be short, just to connect the machine to the ducting.

tx

Justin