Thread: Paddle Switch for 1990 Unisaw.

Paddle Switch for 1990 Unisaw.

Looking for recommendations for a paddle switch that will work on my 1990 Unisaw. I replaced the cord when I got the saw a few years ago, everything seemed to be original. I would like to order a paddle switch and have it here before I take the old one apart. The switch is now in a metal box connected by conduit to the underside of the cast-iron top. A lot of options popped up when I searched for one, hoping someone can save me time researching.

Grizzly sells a selection of machine switches and starters. You might look at the ones that they use on their table saws, since that would likely be a good fit for your use.

Joe why don't you just make one ? There have been a lot of guys who have used a piece of plywood and a hinge with a hole drilled so you can reach the start button and a piece of dowel lined up with the stop button. You use your knee to shut off the saw.

I second the Grizzly recommendation for a switch. I once had a 1965 Unisaw that needed an updated switch and I went with one similar to the Grizzly offerings. Worked great.

I put one of the Grizzly magnetic starter switches on my single phase 3hp 1986 Unisaw as it came (used) without a switch. I would go with a magnetic switch on a saw, so there is no chance it could ever start unexpectedly. You could make the hinged paddle for a magnetic starter as noted above if you wanted that part.

Thank you guys.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vFDDVf4LRxKkAE1JA

Can't work out how to post a photo.

As expected, would have taken less time to replace the switch. This is better though. Light switch is my dust collector.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    I put one of the Grizzly magnetic starter switches on my single phase 3hp 1986 Unisaw as it came (used) without a switch. I would go with a magnetic switch on a saw, so there is no chance it could ever start unexpectedly. You could make the hinged paddle for a magnetic starter as noted above if you wanted that part.
    Just a heads up on at least one of the Grizzly magnetic starter switches.

I just replaced the one on my 5 HP G1023RLWX. Took the old switch apart after getting the replacement and ended up fixing it, and learning what is inside it.

It is a magnetic switch in that once closed, a little coil inside does hold the switch closed until it is physically pushed open by the operator’s stop PB. And if there is a power loss the switch will also open and prevent the motor from restarting when power is restored.

BUT...and this is important...the switch does not open if the motor stops for some reason other than power loss, like if the motor overload trips. So the motor can start unexpectedly if the OL is reset.

On my saw, the magnetic switch activates a starter relay, since the magnetic switch is only rated up to 2HP/16A. But it looks to me like a similar danger is there. (Do not know the internals of the main contactor to be absolutely sure on my saw).

Keep in mind if you use a switch like this to operate a motor directly, if the motor OL trips and you reset it without first pushing the switch off button, the motor will likely start at that moment.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Good tip. Never thought about it. They all work that way.
    Bill D