Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bleached Alder desk for my teenage daughter

Really well done, Edwin. Great design. Very nice detail work inside and out. Thanks for posting.

Nicely executed vision. Another masterpiece. Thanks for sharing!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

You have a wonderful imagination in design Edwin. And made a superb desk to boot. Your daughter will appreciate the desk for all time.

Many thanks for the comments!
    I'll report back in a few weeks with the desk I am obligated to make for my other (pre-teen) daughter.
    I'm going to refine it, not only to hopefully improve on what I did here, but also seeking to reflect her quite different personality.

I'll post a few comments in the Finishing sub-forum regarding my experiences and learning-in-progress with wood bleaching.

Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I'll report back in a few weeks with the desk I am obligated to make for my other (pre-teen) daughter.
    I'm going to refine it, not only to hopefully improve on what I did here, but also seeking to reflect her quite different personality.

Edwin
    Please post details on your drawer construction.

I think you and your father are wrong about the degrees. Every Mech E I went to school with was a serious gear head, in some cases extending to dirt bikes. You can also get an associates in beauty care for working in a salon, if that's what your daughter is into.

Curious about a couple of points. First, which if any, doweling jig did you use? As other have stated you did an incredible job, so it must work well for you.

Second, I really love the leather draw bottom, how was that done?

Thanks in advance for any replies you have time for, hoping to get about half as good someday.

Blog Entries
    Wonderful design and execution Edwin.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Curious about a couple of points. First, which if any, doweling jig did you use? As other have stated you did an incredible job, so it must work well for you.

Second, I really love the leather draw bottom, how was that done?
    Andrew,
    I use the Jessem Doweling Jig for any dowel joinery that is occurring reasonably close to an edge. If the joint is out in no man's land or if it is in a complex surface, I make up a shop made jig for the purpose, usually with a hook on the end of it to register to some common point. Coincidentally, the current issue of Fine Woodworking has an article on dowel joinery that illustrates the exact same shop made jig method I use.

But the Jessem is excellent IMO, and if used properly, you can do an unlimited length of dowel joints and have them line up perfectly, even multiple rows and staggered. This project used about 80 dowels.

The leather drawer bottom is not really leather, but some kind of faux leather I found in a Hobby Lobby store where I went originally looking for felt. I bought a full yard for about $6 which was more than I needed. I cut a piece of 1/8" baltic birch the exact size of the drawer, sprayed it with 3M spray adhesive and glued on the fabric.

Someone asked about drawer construction, which in this project was maybe a bit utilitarian. Mitered 1/2" baltic birch reinforced with biscuits. Blum Tandem slides require precise sizing. My method is to cut all drawer parts to exact size and the cut only the miter on a table saw sled.
    Thanks again for the positive feedback,

What an elegant piece of fine furniture. Well done.

Blog Entries
    Great design, very well executed! perfectly feminine- like a ballet dancer on pointed toes. What is the side construction- looks unique.

Thanks for posting!

Blog Entries
    You killed it! It looks great. I especially love the legs. I also can't believe that is alder...

Did you resaw the alder yourself or buy the veneer?

Elegant and practical, nice work Edwin!!