Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bleached Alder desk for my teenage daughter

Bleached Alder desk for my teenage daughter

The desk top and all three drawer fronts were veneered over Baltic Birch substrate. Drawers are 1/2" prefinished BB with reinforced miters mounted with Blum Tandem undermount slides. Most of the joinery was dowels, a lot of them. Hopefully this desk helps her earn some good grades in high school, and who knows, maybe she'll take it with her when she goes off to college one day. Overall dimensions are 56" long x 22" deep x 29" high.

In designing it I was going for something a bit feminine but with a modern twist. The bricklaid cladding on the sides continues around the back. Now I need to get cracking on one for her sister.

4Y1A6975 comp flat sm.jpgdrawer IMG_1502.jpg

Beautiful piece of furniture... I know she will like it.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

First, welcome back Edwin - seems like we haven't seen you in a while!

The desk is very attractive. The drawer faces, the shape of the legs and the brickwork all look great! The light color also contributes to the "feminine" look - I initially took it as sort of french provincial finish. The overall design is really nice!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The word "ethereal" instantly came to my mind. Very nice work.

It’s really beautiful. A very nice design
    Aj

As has been said, beautiful piece!
    Some Blue Tools
    Some Yellow Tools
    A Grizzly Collection
    ShapeokoXL
    Blue and White 50 Watt

Classy piece there, I’m sure she will cherish it! Very practical for a printer, laptop and a place for papers.

well done Edwin - I really like the gentle sweep of the legs. Very elegant.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

unique and elegant

That is really a delightful piece! I think you reached your design goal for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Your design is superb - the aspect ratios of drawers and the overall desk give it great balance. The overhang of the top gives it a lightness. Yet the desk seems bigger than it is. Well done.

Perhaps a few comment on bleaching the alder please.

The leg shape is perfect- just right and such subtle curves - tapered at the top then flaring at the bottom

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Classy piece there, I’m sure she will cherish it! Very practical for a printer, laptop and a place for papers.
    I was thinking the same thing Ron, but of course when I set it in her room, her first comment was that it would make a perfect make-up table. Look at all the room for a mirror and brush holders she exclaimed.
    I told her there is no degree in make-up at Stanford or any of the fine universities we dream she will attend one day. You should be thinking about writing essays and Calculus I told her.
    And she groaned.

However I'm not one to talk. When I was her age, my father felt the need to tell me there was no such thing as a college degree in dirt bikes either. A story I've kept secret along with my fake ID.

Beautiful work Edwin! Congrats. I know the word "elegant" has been used a few times already, but I'm going to say it anyway. The brick cladding is a very unique feature.

...Hmm.. 2nd outstanding piece using bleached stock in short order. Think I'm missing a trend..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Alder? Seriously? I never knew it could look so, yes, elegant. Beautifully done Edwin.

John