Thread: Another way to search SMC archives

Another way to search SMC archives

Hi all,
    Sometimes SMC's internal search function doesn't work as well as I'd like. Here's a way to use google and it works great. Here's the steps:

1. Go to google advanced search: LINK
    2. Type in the search fields for whatever you are looking for
    3. About half way down the page is a field called "site or domain". In that box, enter "sawmillcreek.org" (without the quotation marks).
    4. Page down and click the blue "Advanced Search" button. Then the results appear, like any other google search.

I can't remember where I found this tip but it has been very useful.

Hope it helps.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

or just enter your search term in the google search box and follow it with " site:sawmillcreek.org" Don't type the quote marks but you need a space before site:.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    Fred, there is an easier way. For some reason the search includes www. in the search term at Google:

SMC Search #1.png

Google even informs the searcher there isn't much to see.

Remove the www. and things look a lot better:

SMC Search #2.png

Amazingly the first three results actually have something to do with the search name.

Sometimes it helps to include the name of the original poster if it can be remembered.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Easiest way that works. Also can put the search term in quotes to get exact match.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bruce King; 12-25-2020 at 11:57 PM.

At the top of the SMC page, to the right, there's a search box. Type something into it, hit Enter. As far as I can tell, the effect is a Google search. The returned page is a standard google page. And you never had to leave SMC to do the Google search.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    At the top of the SMC page, to the right, there's a search box. Type something into it, hit Enter. As far as I can tell, the effect is a Google search. The returned page is a standard google page. And you never had to leave SMC to do the Google search.
    Yes Jamie it does return a standard Google search of >search terms site:www.sawmillcreek.org < For some reason cutting out the > www. < from the search term so it
    reads > search terms site:sawmillcreek.org < usually returns better results.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yes Jamie it does return a standard Google search of >search terms site:www.sawmillcreek.org < For some reason cutting out the > www. < from the search term so it
    reads > search terms site:sawmillcreek.org < usually returns better results.

jtk
    When you're using that search box on the SMC page, you don't need to add the "www.sawmillcreek.org". I think the SMC page adds that part, and sends the whole search off to Google.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    When you're using that search box on the SMC page, you don't need to add the "www.sawmillcreek.org". I think the SMC page adds that part, and sends the whole search off to Google.
    Yes it does. Google or SMC software adds > site:www.sawmillcreek.org < to the search terms entered by the user. The user needs to remove the > www. < from the search string for a better result.

If you find a post you know you will want to find again, it is possible to add tags to the page. This feature can be found at the bottom of the page.

jtk

Don't forget that you can subscribe to threads here.