Thread: Drill Press Adapter for Wood Handled branding iron?

Drill Press Adapter for Wood Handled branding iron?

I got a great electric branding iron with wood handle. It works great but take a lot of technique.
    Is there an adapter to buy that will hold the wood handle in a drill press? Or pictures or plans of how someone has mounted a similar iron?

Thank you for any tips .

If you want to use it in a drill press, why not cut the wood handle off? That is a great idea in order to get even pressure. My only problem is they recommend slightly rocking the iron back and forth to get adequate depth of the logo.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Agree with the rocking motion... That is what I have to do with the ours...

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    Agree with the rocking motion... That is what I have to do with the ours...
    the power cord comes into the end of the wood handle and there is a heat adjust screw near the end of the handle so I can't just cut it off and still use the electric iron.
    Its a detailed and dense logo so rocking seems to blend the lines together making a blob.

The wood handle is about 1 1/4" diameter. I think about making something from wood like a tube that can lock the handle in and with a bolt to put in the drill press chuck

Orrin
    If you come up with something that works no doubt many of us would appreciate your design. I too find it difficult to achieve optimum results with my iron. Rocking helps but does not eliminate inconsistencies. I don't use my iron in the same situation each time so time and temperature are not the same each time.

Sounds like this calls for practice. Maybe after your do about 50 practice brands they will start to look good.

I’m just curious, have you tried sanding it down lightly to see if it clears up the detail?