Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What tools did Santa bring?

What tools did Santa bring?

I was surprised with a number of small but useful gifts this year:
    * 2 more Grammercy holdfasts (one was probably enough, but...)
    * 1 more magnetic featherboard
    * Microjig Pro Clamp Kit
    * Veritas Bevel Setter. Beats the devil out of that darn protractor thing I have. Will store that away.
    * Veritas 1 1/2" Pocket Layout Square. Will store away the Bridge City version that I previously bought from LV - the magnets dont hold the "bottom" on well. (No justifiable reason to return it, IMO)
    * A copy of Joyce's Encyclopedia of Woodworking. I have never seen a used book in brand new condition before this.
    * A copy of Lang's book on making kitchen cabinets. I suspect my Mom has an ulterior motive in giving me this - will have to ask Dad.

What did YOU get?
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Tool related, I got new grill tools (badly needed) and a Lie Nielsen gift certificate from my side of the family.
    We will do video gift exchange with in-laws Saturday or Sunday, so perhaps more.

Now to peruse LN's site....

Festool sander for the shop

Blog Entries
    Not counting the cookware or shop tools bought by Santa for himself?

Well there was one under the tree:

Old Timer Knife.jpg

An Old Timer Carving Knife has six blades for carving away from the shop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I received a pair of Gramercy holdfasts and a saw sharpening file. I had been waiting on the holdfasts for a while as Lee Valley was out of stock this summer and into the fall. I’m looking forward to trying them out.
    I did gift myself some tools earlier in the week when I snagged a great deal on Kijiji (Canadian version of Craig’s List). I picked up a Lie-Nielsen #5, #62, older style Tenon saw and a set of 5 mortise chisels. All unused or very lightly used at a significant discount. HoHoHo!

The only "woodworking related" I received so far was this combination of chocolate and Lee Valley.

IMG_8708.jpg

But this was a nice touch, too...

IMG_8714.jpg EOIE5201.jpg

I'll be able to monitor my heart rate as I either screw something up or look fondly at a very nice piece of lumber. Professor Dr. SWMBO got one, too...in red.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-25-2020 at 7:52 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Badly needed 4" Robust tool rest. Two large bottles of thin CA glue. Pocket hole jig. Several sets of corner clamps. Vix bits. Of course as always, the goodies I bought for myself that wifey doesn't know about. Or does she???
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Some files, a bunch of Knipex needle nose pliers, a Fluke 62 Max+ IR thermometer (my old Raytek Raynger died last week after 29 years of faithful service,) and some gel pads for my aching back.

I gave my wife a Milwaukee M12 crown stapler, which she loved, as she does all the upholstery.

I got a gift card from Lee Valley my mother in law; she always gives the best gifts! I spent the better part of an hour this morning adding and removing marking and measuring tools from my cart to try and maximize the efforts. Hard to keep yourself reeled in looking on their site.
    Still waters run deep.

My wife gave me a few small but welcome additions: A set of T handle hex wrenches, metric and imperial, a magswitch featherboard, a multi-roll tape dispenser from StewMac (really nice) and a small portable blower (like a powerful hair dryer but without the heat). I don't leave my compressor running all the time, and I hate firing it up just to blow the dust off of stuff, so this will sit under my assembly table ready to go.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Blog Entries
    I got a set of two adjustable square drive to 3/8" socket tap chucks. Closest to woodworking is a 30k# HF tree saver strap for the Jeep's winch. Orange to match the jeep. Gotta keep those trees in good shape for the loggers.
    NOW you tell me...

The only "gift" I got is a wireless headset I bought for myself. It is a tool for work. I was tired of running over the cord on my wired headset with working at home and doing lots of TEAMs calls.

Mrs Claus got me an AFTER work tool

Bartesian.jpg

--but of course using it DURING work isn't out of the question

(one of the perks of self-employment)
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    I got exactly what I was hoping for a WEN track saw and the track to go with it!
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    - Carl Sagan

Santa ordered me a couple stones prior to Christmas but I was surprised to see another treat under the tree. It was a back order notice for a LN Rabbet Block Plane. The good news is that Mrs Claus got a shipping notice on the 24th so it won’t be too late.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.