Thread: Powermatic 63A - blade sticks up past table top when lowered completely

Powermatic 63A - blade sticks up past table top when lowered completely

Hey all,

I just brought home a new-to-me Powermatic 63A 10" Artisan table saw. I've noticed that at its lowest point, the tips of the teeth of a 10" blade are just barely level with the table top. There isn't clearance to lower the blade beyond that point, and the only way I can think to get it lower is by actually lowering the trunnions with washers or some other spacer (maybe PALS would work, flipped upside down from how they are intended to be installed?).

I was hoping to fabricate a zero-clearance throat plate but I don't have the clearance to raise the blade into the plate... Am I missing something?

Can any other 63A owners comment on if their saw operates the same way?

Thanks!

Before deciding it's broken , just clean up the accumulated mess , then use spray lube. And the time is right for good
    things.

Clean the rack and look for a stop adjustment bolt. I doubt there is a depth stop for down but you never know.
    Bill D.
    PS: make sure any spray lube has no silicones.

I've found the "never seize" stuff works the best and lasts longest. It's messy ,wear gloves.

I haven't decided its broken, and I have cleaned up the mess. I've taken the saw apart and there is no gunk gumming up the works, the geared lowering bracket is actually hitting cast iron stops and the blade ends up about 1/4" away from the trunnion... there simply isn't room for it to go any farther back. What I can't figure out is if this is just how the saw is manufactured, I haven't been able to find anything on the web. Seems odd that the saw would be designed for a 10" blade, but then not be able to lower that size of blade below the table.

I remember seeing something like that in an employment ...in 1980's. After really cleaning it well ,I could see there were
    one or two other adjustment holes for the machinism. Moved it and all was good. Perhaps some kind of limitation to
    get cheaper insurance...?

Maybe try contacting Powermatic?

Cut the throat plate with a smaller diameter saw blade.It's better than making the stunt cut of lowering an insert on to a running blade.

Also, putting the fence over the insert, and beside the blade, when making the initial cut will lessen the possibility of the insert getting ejected on the initial cut.

The rockwell/delta 12/14 tablesaw is similar. with a 12" blade it goes just below flush. But you can also use a 14" blade which always sticks up at least one inch or more.
    Bill D

@William Hodge, yeah this was my plan. I may just leave a smaller blade on there unless I need to cut thicker stock. Thanks for the suggestion!

@Bill Dufour, thanks for the confirmation. Based on that it seems like this saw is constructed in a similar way. Cant say I love that feature but I'm sure I'll get used to it.

I bought a saw blade which had 10 inches on the package but turned out to be a 260mm blade which is about 10 1/4 inches

Can you add one or two washers to each of the bolts that attach the top to the saw?