Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Program Do You Use to Create 3D Files?

If your copy of VCarve is not registered to you I don't think you will be able to upgrade it, so you would be looking at purchasing VCarve or Aspire new. Can you get in touch with he original owner and transfer the registration?

Otherwise there are numerous option out there for 3D design-Rhino, MOI, Blender... As long as they can export a file format that your VCarve can read like STL you can run it. That said Aspire is your best bet as you can build on your experience with Vcarve. The true cost of software is a lot more than the purchase price if your time has any value.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 01-01-2021 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Jenness View Post
    If your copy of VCarve is not registered to you I don't think you will be able to upgrade it, so you would be looking at purchasing VCarve or Aspire new. Can you get in touch with he original owner and transfer the registration?.
    I believe that was addressed a while ago...if I'm not mistaken, Ron is the third owner of the machine and therefore, the Vectric license cannot be transferred.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The issue with true 3D to me at least would seem that the 3D entity would then have to be encapsulated in something (the dreaded epoxy most likely). Cant help but to wonder if his job is to put a scene in a bar top and if that were carved 3D into the surface and then encapsulated it would be surprising to me if it were very interesting given the wood being somewhat monotone so the snow globe effect wouldnt be all that great. Id imagine a Vcarve inlay with a contrasting wood or a few contrasting colors, may be a better fit.

Toss your image data up somewhere and Im sure some here would play with options for you either in Vcarve or other software to give you a pretty reasonable visual of what each would look like.

"
    if I'm not mistaken, Ron is the third owner of the machine and therefore, the Vectric license cannot be transferred"

Yes, after looking at the Vectric site I see you are correct.

"
    You cannot transfer a license that you have not directly purchased (i.e. one that has been transferred to you, from a previous licence holder). The original purchaser of the software licence can transfer it once, but subsequent owners cannot."

I intend to upgrade the VCarve Pro in the near future to 10.5 so I have the latest version of it. I will have to pay full price of course. Yes I'm the 3rd owner. If after retirement I actually start doing some jobs that pay I will consider biting the bullet for Aspire.