Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Program Do You Use to Create 3D Files?

What Program Do You Use to Create 3D Files?

Okay. A little background before getting into the meat of things. My nephew is wanting me to do a 3D carving on a new bar top he's making. A deer scene basically. So he supplied me some ideas(photos) and I've done some searching as well. I thought I would be able to create a program/toolpaths from there. I'm getting educated fast. I have a Camaster Stinger III X3 running Vectric VCarve Pro 8.5. I wasn't able to transfer the VCarve Pro to my name because I didn't purchase the CNC from the first owner. After my research only Aspire appears to be capable of doing this. At $1995 that's a nonstarter. I am doing most things for fun and pleasure giving gifts etc. I'm not going to put $2000 into a program that would likely not return anything to me or at least not enough to make me seriously consider it. Even if I moved up to the latest VCarve (10?) from what I can tell it doesn't do 3D. Am I missing something here? Am I putting to much stock into 3D? I'm unclear when it says VCarve Pro does 2.5D. Is that sufficient for what I am attempting to do? I just wanted this to be cut with some detail but of course it's only on one side of the top. So I may be way off base here. Is this something Sketchup would be capable of doing? I know there are a truckload of questions here. Thanks in advance.

I use Vectric's Aspire, which was a simple upgrade from the VCarve Pro that came with my Stinger II....just the difference in cost. It meets my personal needs. VCarve Pro can use 3D graphics (single model from third parties and multiple models if created by Vectric software), but you cannot create 3D models with the VCarve Pro.

Sketchup isn't really an option. Fusion360 is, but recent changes to the hobbyist licensing may inhibit what you may or may not want to do. The bottom line is that there is likely going to need to be an investment on your part if you want to create 3D material.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I use Vectric's Aspire, which was a simple upgrade from the VCarve Pro that came with my Stinger II....just the difference in cost. It meets my personal needs. VCarve Pro can use 3D graphics (single model from third parties and multiple models if created by Vectric software), but you cannot create 3D models with the VCarve Pro.

Sketchup isn't really an option. Fusion360 is, but recent changes to the hobbyist licensing may inhibit what you may or may not want to do. The bottom line is that there is likely going to need to be an investment on your part if you want to create 3D material.
    I would make a reasonable investment. I'm just not willing to spend $2000. I understand the not recognizing what I currently do have because I'm not able to have it transferred to my name. I did transfer the VCarve Photo license to myself. But they truly gave me the feeling that they thought I was trying to pull something when I inquired about upgrading. What was the cost difference when you upgraded Jim if you don't mind my asking? Maybe it I start with VCarve Pro 10.5 and then upgrade from there.

With VCarve Pro the full version you can purchase from related Design and Make just about any 3D scene you can think of and incorporate it into your project. No need to spend 2K for a program to do 3D carvings. If you want to design 3D projects for industrial or your own special needs that's different. I have a program I use for my 3D printer that I use that is 1/10 the cost.

The upgrade price for any VCarve product is usually just the difference in cost. They are a great company to deal with, and provide a good product. Check out their website for demo software and a wonderful Forum.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    With VCarve Pro the full version you can purchase from related Design and Make just about any 3D scene you can think of and incorporate it into your project. No need to spend 2K for a program to do 3D carvings. If you want to design 3D projects for industrial or your own special needs that's different. I have a program I use for my 3D printer that I use that is 1/10 the cost.

The upgrade price for any VCarve product is usually just the difference in cost. They are a great company to deal with, and provide a good product. Check out their website for demo software and a wonderful Forum.

I have the Vcarve Pro but it's out of date. Version 8.5. I may go ahead and make that upgrade. I understand the benefits of keeping up to date on software. The Design and Make website looks interesting. Thanks Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I have the Vcarve Pro but it's out of date. Version 8.5. I may go ahead and make that upgrade. I understand the benefits of keeping up to date on software. The Design and Make website looks interesting. Thanks Bill.
    The 10.5 x x version also includes the Photo Engraving software I think anyway. I am still on 9.5 and upgraded from 8.5 a couple years ago primarily because of the enhanced 3 or 2.5D part. IF you want to upgrade to Aspire its just the difference in price at the time you upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I would make a reasonable investment. I'm just not willing to spend $2000. I understand the not recognizing what I currently do have because I'm not able to have it transferred to my name. I did transfer the VCarve Photo license to myself. But they truly gave me the feeling that they thought I was trying to pull something when I inquired about upgrading. What was the cost difference when you upgraded Jim if you don't mind my asking? Maybe it I start with VCarve Pro 10.5 and then upgrade from there.
    Vectric is pretty clear in their FAQ about their license transfer rules, as you know...but I bet they get a lot of folks trying to get away with things, especially when there are people out there offering all kinds of software at a great discount on EBay and elsewhere. They've made it a lot harder for folks to futz around now, too, since they moved to online registration/authentication with v9 a couple years ago.

Upgrade pricing is easy...it's the difference in cost between what you have and what you want at the time of your upgrade. I paid something like $1300 to upgrade to Aspire, for example, as that was what the difference between VCP and Aspire was (full costs) in January 2019. I had a client job that I needed to do a bunch of modeling for, so it ultimately wasn't "out of pocket" expense given the value of the job itself. It was a need rather than a want in that particular case. So starting with VCP 10.5 now and upgrading later doesn't cost you more with Vectric. It's a good idea to get really good with the 2D and 2.5D stuff first before you even think about diving into creating 3D models any way and since it's the same code, nothing changes when you move up from VCP to Aspire. Most of the time I use the 3D capabilities in Aspire at this point are not super complex things...stuff like putting more domed tops on 2D graphics, changing the shape of a guitar headstock, etc.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    The 10.5 x x version also includes the Photo Engraving software I think anyway.
    Yes, it's a toolpath feature. It's not as comprehensive as the stand-alone application, however, so it doesn't replace it. I just makes it easier for more folks to "print out" photo engraved images.
    --

I will probably spring for the Vcarve Pro 10.5 at this time. I'm going to present my nephew with some alternatives for his bar top. If he likes one of the existing "for sale" wildlife scenes I might go that route. If not I guess he will have a plain bar top. It's red elm so it will probably look good anyway.

You do not need to use the entire scene edit as needed. Then scale and put on one side of the bar top and same at the other end, I think you can reverse image and have it face the other.

Have you looked at any of the Design Make objects? You can import multiple design/make objects into VCarve and place them to make a scene. Here is one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agFKdeTgJQI You can import a base model you create in another software. Long term the Aspire route or Carveco option is better, but if you are not doing a lot of 3D work it might not pay for itself.

Everything I am doing at this time is for either my enjoyment, to give as a gift, or to see if I can. That might change down the line but at this point I'm not running a business. So 2000 for the ability to do 3D is a hard pill to swallow. If my needs change then I might spring for it. I will check out that video. Thanks for sharing Brad.

Why dont you just Vcarve it? Its a bar top? It needs to be flat no? there is no need for 3D

True, he dropped it by yesterday. Still experimenting with the possibilities. Thanks for the help everyone. Happy New Year. Let's hope 2021 goes better than 2020 at least on the health side of things.

Just continue to design and faddle, both virtually and by cutting on scrap until you have things exactly as you (and your friend) wants them to be. That's one of the beautiful things about CNC work...you can build it without cutting into expensive material over and over and over and over, if that's what's necessary.
    --