Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: track saw clamps

Quote Originally Posted by jamil mehdi View Post
    I'm pretty happy with the overall straightness of the Makita tracks joined with the Festool connectors. I have 3 55" tracks. Two that are joined permanently (because that was cheaper than buying the single long track) and a third that I use for a short track. When I first connected them, I was pretty meticulous about making sure they were straight, now I just do a cursory check before using it. For my purposes, it's straight enough, but I'm mostly straight-lining rough lumber or ripping down sheets of plywood and in both scenarios, they will both be cleaned up later at the table saw.

I would definitely use two connectors. A single connector just isn't an option.
    Thanks Jamil. I’m definitely going to try a set of new connectors. I was looking on Amazon at the Festool, and came across these from Powertec. Less than half the price, and good reviewes. I think I’ll give these a shot, and can always return them easily since I’m on Prime:
    https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-7135...ag=googhydr-20

Well, I sometimes use the DeWalt clamps with my DeWalt. Nice when needed, but because of their design, they have become a real go-to for a lot of other tasks — one long, thin, flat finger on a clamp that can be operated with one hand. In particular, I use them to clamp workpieces to jigs (OK, fixtures).
    Life is too short for dull sandpaper.

I clamp when I can but sometimes it would be pretty tough to arrange things so I can clamp. Sometimes I clamp one end. When I cannot clamp, I try to be sure to use a brush to clean dust off the workpiece and the back of the track. I think the track stays put significantly better is the surfaces are not all dusty.

Just a quick follow up that might help someone here; I received the Powertec connectors for my Makita track saw, and they are far superior to those made by Makita. Instead of 2 flimsy pieces of metal that must be correctly aligned with each other, these are one solid piece that is much more secure. I’m very happy with the quality of my Makita track saw in every other aspect, but the rail connectors are poorly designed. The Powetec’s are so inexpensive it’s a no-brained:
    https://www.amazon.com/POWERTEC-7135...ag=googhydr-20

Another tip I got off an Izzy Swan youtube. He tried a Wen track saw which he generally liked but when he joined the tracks, it was hard to get them straight. He checked and one track was not cut square. So he squared it on his CMS and it worked a lot better. Shouldn't be necessary but seems like something to check.

Have the Festool track saw. Clamps are absolutely unnecessary.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

A little off topic, but someone posted these home made track clamps here a while back. (I'd credit them properly but cant remember who came up with this. Sorry!) I thought they were clever. I haven't made a set because I already bought the Dewalt clamps.
    Track-clamp-1.jpg
    Track-clamp-2.jpg
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-02-2021 at 4:34 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Have the Festool track saw. Clamps are absolutely unnecessary.
    I agree with that...95% of the time. There have been a few circumstances where clamping the track was helpful or even required due to the working conditions, etc. So it's good to have them and not need them most of the time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Makita track saw with 2 55" Makita rails and factory Makita connectors.

When i bought it a couple years ago I thought a lot about clamps but decided to wait since a couple reviews i had seen said they were unnecessary. I use my saw a lot (mostly for breaking down sheet goods but often for ripping rough sawn lumber to manageable width for my jointer). i think this thread marks the first time I've thought about clamps since i was shopping for it. I wouldn't go so far as to say they're unnecessary since there may very well situations where you want/need them, but i have never personally found that i need them. Even on the rough texture and not yet flat surface of a rough sawn board i find the tracks stay put.

(I did upgrade to a Freud blade. No huge issues with Makita blade, but i do prefer the freud)

There should probably be a lit of "compatible" clamps for use with festool / makita tracks. I know (or have on good authority ) that these work:

festool
    makita
    dewalt
    metabo
    bessey
    powertec
    trition
    wen

I've been told the microjig clamps work with a bit of filing.
    I also think the bosch / mafell clamps work, but am waiting on confirmation.

Don't overlook the festool fs-rapid clamp. I find it handy in some situations.

Someone mentioned Tenyru blades. It's my understanding they make makita's OEM blades.

Freud has 165mm / 20 arbor blade. Not avaialable in the USA , but can be sourced from England without much trouble should you desire one. I do beleive it was here years ago, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

I have the Kreg ACS and have been looking for clamps.
    One viable option that I found is a new product by Bessey, the EZR clamp.
    I like that it's also able to be used as a long reach clamp.
    Only issue is finding it someplace other than WP. It was a lot cheaper on Amazon, but now out-of-stock.
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.