Thread: Bench Height?

Bench Height?

I’m curious what you guys use for bench heights? I’m putting together a small “shop” in my shed: 36” or higher would make sense, but then I see things like the Centipede made to 30” heights?

Totally depends on what you want to build and how you want to build it. If you're doing inlay into small furniture panels, your bench is probably super high (think Steve Latta's bench-on-bench to get the height way, way up). Same with carving by hand. But a high bench won't work if you're trying to run a track saw over some sheet goods which are sitting on an inch of foam, it'll feel like you're reaching up to push the track saw. I think this is why your Centipede is down at 30" -- there's an assumption you're going to be using some power tool on top of it, and want to stand over the power tool for good visibility and control.

If you're a total hand-tool person, and the bench is for planing wood to thickness, the bench is probably much lower, so you can get your body over your work.
    Then you have to factor in not just your height, but your body segment lengths -- if you're 6'5", you'd probably want a tall bench, but if you're Micheal Phelps, and have super short legs and a ultra-long torso, suddenly not so much. You can start at the "where your wrist hangs" height and modify from there based on personal comfort.

Mine is the same height as my table saw. For many years it served as the outfeed table. Even now, when I have a different outfeed solution, it is still convenient to rest large stuff on the saw plus the bench.

I'm 6' tall and went with 36". I have some chronic back problems and 36" felt like a good working height for me. There have been a few times when I wish it were a bit taller but never have I wished it were lower. There are a few guys here on the Creek that have adjustable height bases, which I didn't think about when I built my bench.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Mine is below elbow height, nice height for planing or chiseling...........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wayland View Post
    I’m curious what you guys use for bench heights? I’m putting together a small “shop” in my shed: 36” or higher would make sense, but then I see things like the Centipede made to 30” heights?
    Jim Tolpin has a video about bench height for different tasks I like:

Sizing Workbenches

Also, here's a link to a previous discussion (where that video was pointed out):

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ight-amp-width

My benches are variable height and I use that to my advantage for both comfort and function. I happen to use the Noden Adjust-A-Bench system, both the all steel original on my main bench and the new Craftsman Hardware kit where the panels are shop made from plywood on my auxiliary bench. My main bench can be a "below desk height" and used with a chair as well as "way up high" for detail work without bending over. Average height is about 33" or so in general use.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The only tool height anatomical method I know is a metal working lathe the main apron handcrank wheel height. It is recommended to stand at the lathe with you forearm horizontal. that height is the ideal? height for the center of the apron handwheel. Of course with a lathe sometimes you want to look down onto the work and other times you want to look level at the work tool height.
    I do think most such normal heights are lower then good for modern people who are a few inches taller on average then 100 years ago. You see this in kitchens where the height is lower since women are shorter and the kids helping are shorter still. Also toilets and bathroom sinks are lower so a four year old can use them by themself. An ADA height toilet is much easier for me to use. even though it is only 2" taller then a child/adult toilet.
    Bil lD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-24-2020 at 10:30 PM.

It depends a lot on the purpose of the bench. My table saw top is 36" so I standardized a lot of the shop at that height, specifically the outfeed table that doubles as my assembly bench. The SCMS and router table are also 36" as is my sharpening bench. This makes it so everything allows for clearance for everything else, and is reasonably comfortable to work at. My hand tool bench is lower by a few inches to make planing and chiseling easier on my back. I'm 5' 9" with long arms for my height, and planing on a 36" bench is uncomfortably high; which I am reminded of evey time I need to plane something on the 36" bench.

Totally individual, relative to your height. But, as Andrew said, it depends on what you're using it for. For example, a bench you use for routing vs. hand tools vs. assembly may have different optimal heights.

My main bench is primarily used for hand tools. I used the formula I heard from Frank Klausz - bend your wrist to 90º & the flat of your palm is the bench height. This is a perfect height for me. But I find myself sitting on a stool to do routing or chisel work, b/c my back can't stand much prolonged bending.

So, I've found a bench top bench can be very helpful.

My bench is 1/2" lower than my tablesaw. That way with proper outfeed support it will hopefully never catch anything coming out of the saw. I don't often make cuts that long, but when I do it's nice being able to use the full length of my shop to do them.

A single height is going to be a compromise much of the time. I am 5ft+6 and my main bench is 31".

Bench.jpg
    But for a lot of close work and layout work I have a small bench at 41 high"

Small Bench.jpg

It's only 20" x 23" but gets a lot of use. My shop would be a poorer place without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Mine is the same height as my table saw. For many years it served as the outfeed table. Even now, when I have a different outfeed solution, it is still convenient to rest large stuff on the saw plus the bench.
    +1. Just built a workbench for the side of the tablesaw, and at the same height (actually 1/32" lower).
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    A single height is going to be a compromise much of the time. I am 5ft+6 and my main bench is 31".

Bench.jpg
    But for a lot of close work and layout work I have a small bench at 41 high"

Small Bench.jpg

It's only 20" x 23" but gets a lot of use. My shop would be a poorer place without it.
    Even though my main bench is adjustable height as is my aux bench (down-draft/pocket screw/assembly/extra space) I did like you with my guitar bench, raising it to 1000mm because it's for detail work like your little bench is used for. I pay a lot more attention to my back these days!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I’m 5’10”. My main bench is 36” high, which I find works well for general hand tool work. Sometimes I think chopping with chisels would be better if it was a little lower. Hand planing would definitely be better with it lower. I may take an inch off my bench one day, but I haven’t decided to yet. I have a storage cabinet with a work surface at 32” that is a much better height for sharpening. If I’m doing detail work like shaping drawer pulls I will hold them in a hand screw clamp in my vise. That raises them up to around 40”.