Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Festool CT 15 dust extractor

> dust levels as measured by a Dylos

Does not sound like an ignorant user to me?
    I have two Dylos throughout my shop... my overhead dust filter, PM1200 runs till that number falls within acceptable range. I see it differently Dave....many readers on these forums pick up a lot of good tips and often well advised vs. those not on forums....

Fellas , those short cone lagunas just don't have the separation that a properly design cyclone does. Which means the pleated filters are getting clogged and worn faster. And ignorance in one area doesn't mean total ignorance or that you're a dummy.

But I'm glad you all are happy, you don't have to please me.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 01-04-2021 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Fellas , those short cone lagunas just don't have the separation that a properly design cyclone does. Which means the pleated filters are getting clogged and worn faster. And ignorance in one area doesn't mean total ignorance or that you're a dummy.

But I'm glad you all are happy, you don't have to please me.
    I asked recently about gluing a ClearVue to a piece of plywood and tilting it 30 degrees so it would fit under an 8 foot ceiling, and never got a satisfactory answer. :^)

The guy who invented the ClearVue, his qualifications always seemed a bit fuzzy to me. There have been long threads about this in the past.

I was always a bit suspect of the short stubby cyclone in the Laguna....
    but from all the users I have heard feedback from, it does a great job... I seem to be the unlucky one here...till I investigate the baffles

I am curious about your comments regarding Bill Pentz? His papers seemed impressive to me. Any input would be helpful. He is the one that advocated to exhaust outside, which while it does not fit every application, but when possible, it is the safest of all options and maximizes suction. The last Clearvue I owned, the 5HP acrylic performed flawlessly.... yes the downside is, it takes a lot of height... but IMO, that is why it performs so well... the cyclone width to height ratio is ideal. Combined with the turning vanes dust settles quickly and never resides in the cyclone just swirling around.

If this damn Laguna had turning vanes, it would function fine. Dust needs to be nudged when it's in a static environment... i.e. in the cyclone its hard for gravity to have an effect when pressure is equalized, hence the constant swirling of dust in the cyclone. This is why Onieda has put a significant downward angle on their duct input, it provides the dust a downward trajectory at the entry point which starts the downward spiral into the bin. I would think this downward trajectory has a much better chance of settling into the bin vs continuously swirling in the cyclone. I never used the Onieda, but a friend has it, and it seems to perform very well... with no clear window, its hard to verify.

While this discussion has gotten astray of the original OP's question (and should be in the Workshops discussion area), cyclone performance isn't "back and white". Yes, short-cone systems are not "technically" as efficient with separation compared to long-cone designs. But they do serve a purpose when a more compact system is a physical requirement. Folks who do not have physical limitations with a long-cone design absolutely should consider them over a short-cone design but many don't actually know the differences and are often buying on price and convenience. The only wrong answer is NOT having dust collection, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The only wrong answer is NOT having dust collection, IMHO.
    Amen to that !

Which is why there are many , many satisfied customers of both Laguna short cyclones and Harbor Freight bargain dust collectors.

Amen to that !

Which is why there are many , many satisfied customers of both Laguna short cyclones and Harbor Freight bargain dust collectors.
    Whatever meets your requirements.

I've got the CT15 and have been happy with it. Unlike the Mini/Midi, it lacks bluetooth, an "auto" filter cleaner, and the larger hose garage. I purchased the hose garage for the Mini/Midi direct from Festool (~$45) and it mounts to the CT15 after removing the little compartment that stores the CT15 accessories. The hose tucks away nicely and I can stash systainers on it.

Overall, I like it. Has plenty of suction for the track saw and sander. Using it with a router is so so for dust and chip collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    I asked recently about gluing a ClearVue to a piece of plywood and tilting it 30 degrees so it would fit under an 8 foot ceiling, and never got a satisfactory answer. :^)
    did you ?

i don’t see that in this thread.

and what does that have to do with my comment you quoted ?

Whatever meets your requirements.
    a broom and dust pan met my requirements for a time.

then I saw the light and a mask was an upgrade.

later, I was delivered from ignorance via a Sears vac that was louder than a GE turbofan jet engine.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-07-2021 at 11:49 AM. Reason: fixed quote tagging

i don’t see that in this thread.

and what does that have to do with my comment you quoted ?

a broom and dust pan met my requirements for a time.

then I saw the light and a mask was an upgrade.

later, I was delivered from ignorance via a Sears vac that was louder than a GE turbofan jet engine.
    Thanks for the opportunity to comment further. This is, of course, an issue of dust control. I have a Dylos operating whenever I’m in the shop, and one thing I’ve observed is that sweeping the floor is a _huge_ issue, causing the dust levels to skyrocket. You don’t need a meter to verify this, you can easily smell it. Dust mask, you say? What happens when you take the dust mask off, and what happens to other stuff in the shop that this dust is going to settle on. This is a really big deal for me, as woodworking isn’t the only thing I do in there. (You might say, have a separate shop. I say, give me one.:^)

One of the great blessings of having a Festool vac with a DD is that it allows guilt-free use of a floor sweep with it, the performance of which (as measured again with the Dylos) easily exceeds that of an older shop vac even with a CleanStream filter, which BTW is a pain to clean, and so often.

Sawing by hand is also a huge dust generator. This is often overlooked.

IMO the best system is a decent HEPA dust collector, a point-of-creation HEPA vac, an overhead powered filter (such as the Jet etc) and Powermatic’s electrostatic filter, along with a Dylos for monitoring, and some awareness. My shop is by _far_ the most dustless environment on the property.

> Did you install the baffle under the cone in the PFlux? It’s an oblong piece of metal that mounts between the cone and the bin, supposedly introducing turbulence into the flow and allowing more material to settle into the bin. If it wasn’t included in the package, Laguna will send you one.

Thx Doug for your valuable contribiution... I had no "cross bar" under my funnel, called Laguna, they sent me one NC. And Shaazaam! Wow, that little piece of metal made all the difference in the world! The dust settles in the bin within 2 seconds! My main filter is not getting clogged and virtually no fine dust in the the small bin!
    Now, I can honestly recommend this machine to anyone. Its quiet, incredible filter (.3 micron IIRC) and is very mobile. Considering the quality, price fairly IMO.
    While I thought this problem was a consequence of the stubby cyclone as others also thought also, that was not the case. A well designed stubby cyclone can be incredibly effective. Thx again Doug!

incredible ��

Thx Dave@!

any time !