Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Festool CT 15 dust extractor

Festool CT 15 dust extractor

I knewI was in trouble earlier this year when I bought the Domino 500. I then bought a TS 55 track saw. Love them both. Now looking at the CT 15 dust extractor. I have one question. Will the ultimate dust deputy for Festool fit securely to it? I know it will fit the CT 26 nicely which I am also considering. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Hi David - check out my reply to John Goodin's post. I like the CT26 a lot, it handles my DIY projects just fine. When needed, I hook up a Dust Deputy, no real problems there. -Rich

Quote Originally Posted by David Sloan View Post
    I knewI was in trouble earlier this year when I bought the Domino 500. I then bought a TS 55 track saw. Love them both. Now looking at the CT 15 dust extractor. I have one question. Will the ultimate dust deputy for Festool fit securely to it? I know it will fit the CT 26 nicely which I am also considering. Thanks and Merry Christmas!
    No , the UDD will not latch onto a ct15. Neither will sustainers.

Your going to have to go with a Mini/ Midi for that ability. Unless you’re using the vac to pick up planer shavings or everyday floor cleanup , then a separator doesn’t make much sense. Especially for the hobbyist.

A mini or midi will have plenty of capacity for a domino and ts 55 and a sander.

You might consider the MINI/MIDI for the Bluetooth feature as well.

Rich, I looked at your other post. I am leaning towards the CT 26.
    Charles, I have looked at the mini and midi as well, not at all sure about the Bluetooth feature
    Dave, you have confirmed what I thought about the inability to latch onto the CT 15. That was my primary question. Watching both the Dust Deputy and the Festool cyclone in action on YouTube makes it tempting. I already have the $100 dust deputy but it’s part of a fixed setup for my miter saw station. I just bought it because I was tired of always cleaning the vac filter. It works very well. The larger machines are served by a dust collector.
    Thanks to all of you.

I have a CT 26 and a Midi, wouldn't buy the 26 again, larger, heavier, more expensive.

The Midi has the same performance and is much easier to carry up stairs etc.

Don't forget that the Festool vacuums pack the dust in the bags to a density approaching what feels like concrete. The CT26 bag is bigger and heavier when near full.........Rod.

Yes, those bags get packed tight!
    and yet, the vac still performs, quite remarkable.
    The UDD, or any of the cyclones do an amazing job separating out 99% of what is fed to it.
    If your vac use is limited to the Domino small shavings from drilling, etc. Its more of a hassle than its worth. And the savings in bags (which are quite costly) will take a long time to pay back the cyclone. OTOH, if you plan to vac up hand plane shavings off the ground, TS55 dust, router, then u will really appreciate the benefits of adding a cyclone. Keep the hoses / tubes as short as possible to maximize suction. Mine is stacked atop my CT so it travels easy...since I don't stack systainers, its a great addition.

It never ceases to amaze me how many guys who buy a $500-$1000 vacuum crainge at the thought of having to pay 7-10 bucks for vac bag to put in them. And then think to themselves - " I'll spend another $300-$400 so I don't have to buy bags" .
    Showed them !

It's not as if Festool is gouging us on bags:

ridgid:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-H...3502/100390230

shop vac:
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shop-Vac-2-...on-Bag/1007633

makita:
    https://www.amazon.com/Makita-W10741...9095288&sr=8-5

fein:
    https://www.amazon.com/Fein-BAGS-TUR...9095359&sr=8-2
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 12-27-2020 at 2:00 PM.

Some years I was cutting and routing a lot of sheet goods. I also used the Festool vac to attach to the top of my TS dust collection. I would fill my cyclone bin min. 1x per week. That is prob. equal to 100 vac bags as the cyclone bin holds at least 2x more volume. Net $7 savings per bag = $700. Pretty fast ROI for me. YMMV.
    In addition, the cyclone increases the lifespan of the HEPA filter.
    Like all ww, what makes economic sense for some people, might not make economic sense for others.
    Agreed on Festool bag cost, interesting to see the price for other makers.

Will - that's not a typical use of a shop vac for most guys. Especially with a festool vac. None of the FT vac features lend themselves to that application that I can see offhand. So, wouldn't a cheaper vac have been a more economical solution in general? And what were you using for for your primary DC hookup? Why didn't you just wye of of that and not have to fool with turning on two different collectors ? Agreed YMMV , and one solution is not necessarily for everyone.

In addition, the cyclone increases the lifespan of the HEPA filter.
    Sure, but this seems a classic red herring. I've never had to replace a filter in any of my festool vacs over the years while using FT bags. Again, in certain extremely high production industrial settings I could see a benefit.

Maybe.

Even those with high production and duty cycle NEEDS, I'd argue there are better, more economical solutions than a CT and a separator.

How many times did you have to repalce your main DC's cartridge filter during that time frame ? How much did it cost ?

The reason I use Festool Vacs is due to the HEPA. All the true HEPA vacs are on par with FT pricing. Yes, I could have used a $99 super sucker Craftsman, but all it does is spew <15 micron particles into the airspace I am working in... confirmed by Dylos. So for me, my lungs are worth the extra $$. I do wear a dust mask btw, 3M 7500 with N95 filters (1 micron) But the dust remains in the air long after the cuts. I use an Powermatic PM1200 overhead air filtration also, and it helps for sure, but not immediately. But highly recommended.

During that run, I was working in a tight 500sf garage space while in transition to building a full size shop, and building lots of cabinets and built ins. The FT / cyclone was convenient and a workhorse.

For the TS, I had 1.5HP wall mounted vac that exhausted outside. (I believe in the Pentz theory on this) I could have Tee'd off this, but it was a long run, and the losses were too great...the FT followed me around allowing short hoses and better suction at the tool.

I later replaced the wall unit when motor died, with a Laguna PFlux 2HP, 240V, 22amp portable unit, that is pretty quite for 2HP. I started to tap off that for the FT 1400 / 2200 routers and FT track saws... but remarkably, once I transitioned from 4" down to 36mm hoses, the suction was much worse than the FT!!! Yeah, that one took me by total surprise. Tested with CFM meter at the end of hoses of equal runs. The larger units are really designed for TS, Jointer, Planers, etc, i.e. big chips w/ 4"+ inlets. So I still used the FT vac with the FT tools, cause the collection was superior.

This year, when setting up new shop, I will prob. go with a 5HP ClearVue (my 2nd), and exhaust outside. Then I can run branches everywhere as you suggest, prob. for the portable tools also...but not sure it makes sense to turn on that 5HP beast for light edge routing and thin dado tasks. The FT being so close and short hoses is an impressive sucker for a HEPA.

BTW, for those who work outside cutting down sheets, IMO, u dont need a HEPA unit, as u are blowing the large particles in the wind vs. trapping them in a small shop.

Never replaced the main DC cartridge, just blast it outside with compressed air for cleanings. The Laguna PFlux filter will last as long as you treat it right, and keep it clean... I imagine it might need replacing in 10 yrs? A very well built filter. But PITA to get it on and off the machine. My biggest issue with the PFLUX is the dust never wants to settle down from the cyclone, and too much ends up below the filter in a 5" tall fine dust collection bin. IMO, it needs turning vanes really BAD, as the cyclone is short and fat, not ideal for cyclone action. My UDD keeps dust in the cyclone till new dust comes in and pushes the swirling dust down. Truly remarkable how clean your vacs bags remain. I also bought a clearvue small unit which I will use with an outdoor vac unit.

BTW, its not just economics, although that often drives the purchase... if you put a 10gal pail under the Clearvue, you dont have to constantly change the vac bag, not exactly a fun part of ww

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    Never replaced the main DC cartridge, just blast it outside with compressed air for cleanings. The Laguna PFlux filter will last as long as you treat it right, and keep it clean... I imagine it might need replacing in 10 yrs? A very well built filter. But PITA to get it on and off the machine. My biggest issue with the PFLUX is the dust never wants to settle down from the cyclone, and too much ends up below the filter in a 5" tall fine dust collection bin. IMO, it needs turning vanes really BAD, as the cyclone is short and fat, not ideal for cyclone action. My UDD keeps dust in the cyclone till new dust comes in and pushes the swirling dust down. Truly remarkable how clean your vacs bags remain. I also bought a clearvue small unit which I will use with an outdoor vac unit.
    Did you install the baffle under the cone in the PFlux? It’s an oblong piece of metal that mounts between the cone and the bin, supposedly introducing turbulence into the flow and allowing more material to settle into the bin. If it wasn’t included in the package, Laguna will send you one. I’m not seeing the issues with the filter on my PFlux 1.

I agree with your points about the Festool vac.

Doug, funny u just mentioned that!
    I finally contacted Laguna about this via email just recently...
    they suggested if the baffle at the bottom of the cone is installed, then try removing it!
    So if its installed (dont recall its been several years since assembled), I will remove it...
    if its NOT installed, maybe it was not provided, then I will ask them to supply one, and try that!
    Glad to hear yours is working well... if it was NOT for this ONE stubborn issue, I love the build quality and quietness of the machine as well as the easy change dust bin...but collecting dust properly is still #1 on priority list!
    will report back once I get back in the shop...
    BTW, how often do you have to remove filter and blast it clean?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Blick View Post
    Doug, funny u just mentioned that!
    I finally contacted Laguna about this via email just recently...
    they suggested if the baffle at the bottom of the cone is installed, then try removing it!
    So if its installed (dont recall its been several years since assembled), I will remove it...
    if its NOT installed, maybe it was not provided, then I will ask them to supply one, and try that!
    Glad to hear yours is working well... if it was NOT for this ONE stubborn issue, I love the build quality and quietness of the machine as well as the easy change dust bin...but collecting dust properly is still #1 on priority list!
    will report back once I get back in the shop...
    BTW, how often do you have to remove filter and blast it clean?
    I’ve never removed the filter (I’ve had the unit for about 3 years or so.) I just hook up the filter drain to the cyclone, turn it on, and blast the filter fairly evenly (and gently) with 40psi shop air from the compressor. Whatever dust remains at the bottom of the filter afterwards gets removed with, you guessed it, a Festool dust extractor (CT48 with an Oneida DD.)

This happens maybe every ten bins (because Laguna recommends that it be done.) It’s not self-cleaning, but it’s reasonably effortless.

thats great info, very encouraging....
    I gotta get mine tuned, I hope its the baffles...
    Festool CT to the Laguna clean up !
    too funny, we have the same set up...
    I was removing and blasting my PFlux filter every month...
    the dust bin has a few inches of fine powder...
    too much is getting through for sure...
    maybe I should have got the 1Hp, we shall see...
    thx for sharing...