Thread: Should I sell my Bosch router?

Blog Entries

Should I sell my Bosch router?

I have a lot of routers: Bosch 1617evspk, fixed and plunge base with an edge guide, Milwaukee, Dewalt , and a Porter Cable. I never use the Bosch, the others I use occasionally.
    Should I sell the Bosch? If yes, at what price ( new with the edge guide it's about $241)
    Thanks
    Dennis

I have that Bosch router. It's a good router but I find that I use my DeWalt trim router most of the time. Check eBay for what used ones are selling for. You'll probably be disappointed at what they're selling for. I looked at eBay and I see sales below $150 for ones with only one base. And note the fees that eBay and PayPal charge will deduct from that.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Just yesterday I was packing my routers I have 4 trim routers. Why,why do I have 4, I don't know but I am thinking with you to move couple of them on to someone else. I have made up my mind yrs ago to except the fact that I will never get what I paid for a router or any tool. But I would consider it making a profit if I got half price. Just like buying a new car, what you paid for it you would not be able to sell it for that. Some people like be the person taking it out of the box for first time. So I would start out with about half then if necessary drop the price to us Creekers. We all look for a deal, even if we're not looking for that tool.

Routers are like clamps, you never have enough. There are one or two that are not used frequently but then comes the time all 5-6 I have are in play for dovetails, edges, dadoes, etc.

Never sell a router unless you plan on quitting woodworking. As soon as you do, you'll decide to make a fixture that would be nice to have a dedicated router in it. Most used power tools will not bring much more than half. For that kind of money I'd keep it for sure.

I would hold onto it personally. As soon as you sell it your other ones will break! Murphy was a woodworker!

I worked too hard and too long to have the few tools that I have. I don't sell tools.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

What kind of monster gives up a router?

I have 2 1617s. Nice router. Probably have seven routers in all and just ordered a Hitachi.

Don't sell.

MK

I have 2 1617’s as well. My go to hand held router. One at I’ve had for 10-12 years.

Auctions come in around $150, shipping included.

Blog Entries
    Well I sold it for $145. I honestly can't remember the last time I used it. I still have three routers which I rarely use. The guy who bought it was very happy to get it so it was a win win for both of us.
    Dennis

I have extra routers (I think probably 2 more than I regularly use now). Generally, with tools like routers, sanders, biscuit joiners, I rarely sell them because it's hard to get enough money from second hand buyers to make it worthwhile. I've just kept the extra routers in case some day I have a need to maintain a setup on one for a longer period of time. However, if I'm trying to get rid of tools to purchase a new one that will take the place of one or more, I may sell just to get it out of the way and raise some of the money needed for a new tool. From my experience it's hard to get more than about 50% of the new retail cost for a used tool no matter how good the condition is, unless there's something special or unique about the tool.