Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying to buy a Ram 2500, seems like they don't want my money

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    My advice is to never tell them you're going to pay cash. They make a decent profit when you finance the car. You don't have to finance it, but just leave the question open. Tell them you have to look at the financing options before you make a decision. Then pay cash.

Mike

I agree. Never tell them you are paying cash until its time to pay. They will still try to get you to finance it. Selling financing is very lucrative for dealers. The deal is less attractive to them without it. I haven't bought a car from a car salesman in I don't know how long. I go directly to the fleet manager. Most large dealers have one. Give them the specs, they give me a price and I order the car. I'm sure the presence of fleet dealers is regional based on demand for that service so YMMV.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-24-2020 at 9:05 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    As others have said, You told them you are paying cash. They don't like that.
    Always say you are going to finance then pay cash after they give you a price.
    The best practice is that how one is going to pay shouldn't be even part of the negotiation on the bottom line price for the vehicle--don't bring it up and keep it out of the conversation. Percent off invoice is my metric, regardless of finance, cash or lease.

The Internet sales people are often easier to get pricing from than folks on the floor because unless they give a reasonably good price up front, the buyer's never even going to come in at all.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There could be multiple issues going on, including the financing issue.

A couple of others:

1. Most likely the "sale" (i,e, commission) does not count for the sales guy until the car is delivered--8 weeks is a long time in sales, especially when there are live buyers who will take delivery today.
    2. Based on what a causal acquaintance who used to sell cars told me one time, car dealers see a lot of causal shoppers who all say they know what they want and want to buy, but never do. They are just out "kickin' tires" and know if they say that, the dealer won't give them a test ride.
    3. The dealer management is go to be focused on selling units in stock/consignment. Those are the cars the dealer is on the hook for.
    4. It may just be bad customer service/sales work--there is huge turnover in car dealers..

I actually have the opposite problem when we start looking at new vehicles. The wife and I discuss types of cars, do some research and then start going on "hot dates" to test drive (we take days off from work during the week so as to not compete on a week-end crowd). We are very honest with the sales person when we show up at the dealer, we never buy a car on the first test drive or our first visit to the dealer. As I tell them, "in business, I do not make major capital purchases on impulse, why should I do that in my personal life?". The number of times I have to run the gauntlet "what will it take to get you buy this car today?" to get out of the dealer is impressive.

Blog Entries
    I'm trying to buy a 2021 Ram 2500 , but nobody seems to anxious to sell me one.
    My interest in this is a desire to purchase a pickup with one ton capacity. (in Ram talk that would be a 3500) My current vehicle is a Ram 1500 and a few times it has been a bit overloaded.

My understanding on this is what others have mentioned, get the deal nailed down before mentioning financing or a trade in.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I still think it's an allocation problem. The first thing I would ask, when looking for a particular model, and trim level, is if they have an allocation for it. That not only saves you time, but it alerts the dealer that you know what you're talking about. I had that problem when I was looking for the current truck I'm driving. I had to go to another dealer when the first one told me he'd ordered it, but I finally asked someone there, who wasn't a salesman, if they had an allocation for it. They didn't.

If you don't know how allocations work, ask google.

edited to add: Manufacturers are in business to sell vehicles to dealers. Dealers are in business to sell cars to you. I had a boat business once, and it was the same way. They like to plan ahead how many of anything they will make.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 12-24-2020 at 4:04 PM.

This is the best way I've found to buy a vehicle:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....s-from-Dealers
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Mason-Darnell View Post

1. Most likely the "sale" (i,e, commission) does not count for the sales guy until the car is delivered--8 weeks is a long time in sales, especially when there are live buyers who will take delivery today.
    I almost always order my vehicles because I want exactly what I want and have never had any pushback or even pricing issues with dealers. They are happy for my order. And the vehicles they have "on the lot" are available for an additional sale that month. Now it's true that the dealers in my area are almost all pretty high volume so they are not worried about inventory that's hanging around too long in most cases. Smaller markets may have geography specific differences.
    --

As it’s a Fiat Chrysler product, consider that they might be doing you a favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Same people, more or less, at least in North America, as there was with the previous ownership...Daimler. RAM and Jeep are doing very well in the marketplace.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Same people, more or less, at least in North America, as there was with the previous ownership...Daimler. RAM and Jeep are doing very well in the marketplace.
    Yeah, and? Same goes with Daimler. A parts cannon dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    Yes, but in a different way. Tell them: "I HAVE the Fiat cash and will pay double asking price!" It's worth a shot since
    a lot of people don't know that fiat money is money not backed by anything.....so it's just like real money. Only they
    would have twice as much! But you will need to restock to use your MONOPOLY game.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 12-24-2020 at 6:27 PM. Reason: forgot some info

My brother the auto mechanic said the best day to buy a car was superbowl sunday. also the day before Christmas and New years. but Super bowl sunday was the best. Very slow day, few salesmen working. The boss would be impressed if anyone sold a car, even if the price was low. Rather then play games with you they want to make the sale quick and go back to watching the game.
    Bill D

Sundays are VERY slow days for auto sales here...because it's not permitted.
    --

I have bought a lot of new cars over the years, and for some reason Chrysler Corp. dealers are always the hardest to deal with.

That aside, if you belong to Costco, try going through their program. They at least promise you a decent price from certain local dealers. This gives you a starting point.

Agree...never tell them you are paying cash till the very end. I once spent hours at 'the worlds largest' Mustang dealer, who absolutely refused to give me an actual price on what the car would be. All they wanted to do was quote how low the payments would be. Bought one at my local dealer over the phone the next day.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Sundays are VERY slow days for auto sales here...because it's not permitted.
    That's most places. I live close to two other states besides the one I'm in. There no dealers open on Sunday in any of them.