Thread: Help! I might have destroyed my Nova DVR

Help! I might have destroyed my Nova DVR

I have a Nova DVR 2024 and was doing some sanding. I had the spindle lock on and mistakenly tried to start the spindle spinning. I took the spindle lock off and tried to start the spindle again. The spindle moved rapidly back and forth a little bit but would not spin. I turned the lathe off and the spindle spun freely. I turned the lathe back on and the spindle was stuck again and some smoke and a slight burning (melting?) smell came out of the outside end of the headstock. I took off the headstock cover and took a look, but don’t see anything burned or melted. I don’t know what to do next. Any words of wisdom? Am I screwed? I just sent a message to Teknatool customer service, but I’m way out of warranty.

David

I thought they had a lock out on that lathe to prevent starting with the spindle lock on. Guess not. Are there any codes flashing on the control? There is this info on the manual for troubleshooting. Note leaving the spindle index unit in will not harm the motor; however it will put some strain on the index unit. It is likely that the spindle index will be left in from time to time and the motor is designed for this.

I’ve made this mistake before with no problems.

I got a form response from Teknatool telling me to try doing a factory reset. But the email doesn’t tell me how to do that and it’s not in the manual. I’m waiting for another response from Teknatool. Anyone know how to do the reset?

David

Have you tried unplugging the lathe and waiting a few minutes, and plugging it back in. some electronics have a default setting that requires you to unplug it. If you have not tried that, I would do that first. It certainly isn't going to hurt anything at this point and it may solve your problem. Good luck.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by David Bolson View Post
    ... Anyone know how to do the reset?
    I looked at an on-line manual for that lathe and in section 4.0 Control Functions tells how to do a Hard Reset.

Thanks for the replies. I did unplug and wait. Didn’t help. I also tried the hard reset. Didn’t work either. Now waiting for help from Teknatool. Hoping for easy, expecting expensive.

While I can't help you with this problem I can offer this. I have the belt tension set so it'll slip before doing damage. Too loose and it'll slip when you don't want it to. I did it while learning so the belt would slip if, ok when I a caught an edge.