Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MFT 3 alternatives?

MFT 3 alternatives?

Are there alternatives to the MFT 3? I’m aware of the Kreg Accu-Cut, but are there others specifically for Festool?

(And I know I could make my own with MDF: but I don’t trust myself getting those holes aligned in any way close to what I’d consider “perfect”)

You can buy the Festool top separately for about $140US and if you check the local classifieds online you'll often find guys with CNC equipment knocking them out cheaper. They're considered sacrificial, so they get replaced periodically.
    Last edited by Harvey Miller; 12-23-2020 at 5:09 PM.
    Just a Duffer

You could try the Bora Centipede 20mm top. https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/w...tVbnhoCMMkQAvD Or have one made. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Rude View Post
    You could try the Bora Centipede 20mm top. https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/w...tVbnhoCMMkQAvD Or have one made. Dan
    I’m liking this: although there aren’t many reviews on it.

Pair it with a track square with dogs, and I think I can pretty much do what the festool does? Granted: it’ll be a bit more fiddly than having the track on a hinge?

That Centipede solution would work fine, especially if the two sides that span the hinge are exactly lined up. It would be more "wiggly" however, than the actual MFT. I have two of the Centipede folding supports which get a lot of use, both in my shop, and outside the shop, and have pre-made tops I can set on them when a solid surface is required. But I wouldn't give up my MFT for them, even though I rarely use it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That Centipede solution would work fine, especially if the two sides that span the hinge are exactly lined up. It would be more "wiggly" however, than the actual MFT. I have two of the Centipede folding supports which get a lot of use, both in my shop, and outside the shop, and have pre-made tops I can set on them when a solid surface is required. But I wouldn't give up my MFT for them, even though I rarely use it.
    When you say “hinge” are you suggesting a similar track hinge to the MFT? I was personally just thinking about using one of the 90* track adaptors that have the optional screw-on dogs? Certainly a bit more involved than a hinge, but might get me by (I’m a seasonal hobbyist: so it wont get much use)

If so, is there a hinge that you’d recommend? (Just so I can start pricing out building something to be of similar spec to the MFT?

And while I have you: I notice the centipede top has metric and imperial options; would you advise one over the other?

Have you used the centipede on imperfect ground, such as a lawn (versus a concrete pad?)

You could make Timothy Wilmots MFTC using his $10 plans. I made one several years ago and it's served me very well.
    https://benchworks.be/downloads/mftc-plans/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wayland View Post
    When you say “hinge” are you suggesting a similar track hinge to the MFT?
    The specific product that the other person linked to for use on top of the Centipede has a hinge in the middle so it folds down to half-size for storage.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The specific product that the other person linked to for use on top of the Centipede has a hinge in the middle so it folds down to half-size for storage.
    Ah, I hadn’t considered how that would affect production. Might be a dealbreaker for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wayland View Post
    Ah, I hadn’t considered how that would affect production. Might be a dealbreaker for me.
    that specific product might not work if you need super precision between the two halves (and it's only an assumption that the hinge could introduce any variance...i don't want to trash the idea which is good for portability) but you can use the idea with a grid top that's one piece. I will tell you, however, that with the Centipede, it's "best" if whatever worksurface you put on it is a little oversize than 2'x4' nominal based on my experience. The two quick and dirty work surfaces I have were made with pre-cut 2'x4' plywood panels top and bottom with a sorta torsion box setup. They are easy to store, etc., when not in use. But when they are on top of the Centipede, they are just at the edges of the support. A little bigger would make things more stable, IMHO. Since you can get MDF in 49x97 sheets typically, it would be easy to make the work surface slightly oversized, but back when I made mine, I wasn't thinking about it. You can do your own grid, too, or have someone with a CNC cut it for you.
    --

Parf Guide system.

then some additional TSO products.

I have this set up and like it.

It probably won't pay for itself until after two or three mdf table tops have been consumed by saw kerfs... but drilling the holes where ever you desire is a plus
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Is it better to go with a 20mm setup? Or a 3/4? Which has more accessories here in the US?

Personal preference. There is a lot of support from companies like TSO and others for 20mm at this point. I only use 3/4" for traditional hold-fasts (Gramercy in my case) at this point and those can't be used in thin tops anyway.
    --

Reading more into this: it Almost seems my money is better spent on a parallel guide system than an MFT:

The MFT could be in the cards down the road: but for the larger cabinets I plan on making, I think I’m better off with parallels guides....

I have done long cabinet sides with two different parallel guides (Seneca and Festool) and it is not a foolproof path to precision either. I have used the MFT for years for shorter cuts and it shines when you need repeatability. I also build a Paulk workbench using the Parf guide system to drill the holes. They came out more precise on a 4x8 Paulk table. In fact it seems easier to get accurate results for long parts with my Paulk bench than with my parallel guides. I think the home build solutions (Wilmots, Paulk, Parfit, Millard, ...) are nice since you can adjust them to what you need and you are typically not out hundreds of dollars (but you need to invest some time). Some people on the FOG seemed to have good luck with the MFT slab (a 4x8 MDF with grid CNCed) if you can find a shop in your area to do one for you. I haven't tried that since there were no big CNCs in my neighborhood when I was looking into it. Overall the system of using a grid and dogs is great and I would just pick whichever one fits your upcoming projects and available space best.