Thread: Baldor 12” Grinder — Usable for lathe tool sharpening?

Baldor 12” Grinder — Usable for lathe tool sharpening?

Soooo, I may have an opportunity to pick up a pretty nice used Baldor grinder for a very very nice price. It’s a model 1215W which comes with 12” wheels, 2HP motor that runs at 1800 rpm. I realize this machine is WAY overkill for sharpening tools for turning, but curious if I could fit it with smaller and more appropriate wheels for that purpose?
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

What's the shaft size? I'm guessing that will limit what kind of wheels you can get. I bet they are at least 1"

Yeah, I’m realizing the arbor may be the deal killer. This thing has a 1.25” arbor and doubt that CBN wheels are made to fit that.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Yeah, I’m realizing the arbor may be the deal killer. This thing has a 1.25” arbor and doubt that CBN wheels are made to fit that.
    You might check with Ken at Woodturner's Wonders. I think he told me once he could have CBN wheels special-made to customer's specs. (Might not be cheap!)

I personally would love a grinder like that for my little welding shop but not sure about one for sharpening lathe tools. For one thing, it might take up a lot of room, would need to be mounted on a stand instead of a typical workbench for the optimum operating height. Wheels in general might not be cheap; probably needs 220v power.

An inexpensive Rikon 1/2 or 1 hp bench grinder might be more practical.

JKJ

FWIW, I have a 12" Jet grinder with 10" wheels. I have a Robo Hippy tool rest on one side. I don't usually sharpen lathe tools on it unless I'm changing the profile, i.e. rarely.

I have 2 of the Baldor 3/4 hp grinders for 8 inch wheels, and that works great, though it takes some engineering if you want to get the Wolverine set up under the wheel guards. I did have to put my platform, I use only the free standing one, up to height. Some thing like 1 1/2 inches. Your grinder would work, but I would kind of think it would be a waste of that grinder's capabilities. My Baldor grinders have 3/4 inch shafts. I am pretty sure D Way can drill theirs out. My D Way wheels came with an 1 inch arbor and inserts. It looks like it could be safely drilled out.

robo hippy

All of the big grinders like that I've come across are 3 phase. Not a deal breaker but other than my Tormek clone my grinders live in dusty places. I don't know if I would want a VFD in such areas. Still, if cheap enough and easy to pick up (not always the case now with COVID) I would still get it. I'm betting that Baldor will last longer than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    ...e my grinders live in dusty places. I don't know if I would want a VFD in such areas. ...
    A VFD is easy to filter by building an enclosure with filters and forced-air cooling if necessary.