Thread: High school auction in Falls Church Virginia

Blog Entries

High school auction in Falls Church Virginia

We are getting a new high school and they are selling off stuff from the old building.
    main link: https://www.themcguiregroupllc.com/a...ion-103/page/1

perhaps the most interesting item (to me) is this vise. I’m curious about it.
    https://www.themcguiregroupllc.com/a...iseanvil-17874

fo some reason they have two hang gliders. Quite a bit of shop equipment. I really don’t pay much attention to any shop type stuff at the high school because my grandsons will have access to my shop. I saw a Unisaw and a couple of lathes.

they have quite a few retractable outlets.
    they are selling off the wood gym benches. I suppose under that paint, there’s maple or something.

it’s pretty clear that the folks running the auction have no idea what this stuff is. There’s a Pexto shear labeled as a beading machine. I would offer a correction but I hate to spoil anyone’s fun.

That is indeed an unusual vise. I have saw some odd ones over the years but I don't ever recall one designed like that. It actually looks like because of the way it clamps the vise would exert a lot of clamping force with minimal effort.

My guess is those vises were made by the company that used them ,mainly for their own use. Probably for women who
    did final filing and assembly of parts. There is a long history of women and that kind of work. The English Stubbs Co. ,
    makers of fine tools hired them ,and went out of business about 1840. The better Stubbs tools are akin to fine jewelry .

Could have been a WW 2 war effort thing. They needed and hired a lot of women then.
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 12-22-2020 at 5:35 PM.

Looks like a quick adjusting vise. Give the handle a quarter turn CCW and pull in handle to open vise as far as you'd like place object in vise push vise closed then turn handle CW to the desired clamping pressure.

Would be fast if you're working with different or odd shaped parts.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Blacksmithing vise. One of several I found.

google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.worthpoint.com%2Fwo rthopedia%2Fantique-1914-blacksmith-iron-vise-1819737343&psig=AOvVaw1EcWdFuEVVnTO_6WXNXw2D&ust=1 608765829754000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxq FwoTCNjui_Hd4u0CFQAAAAAdAAAAABAL

Some excellent items at that auction! Bummer vises, nice grinders, drill presses. Wish I was closer!