Thread: Table top

Table top

I have had this piece of walnut laying out in the yard and thought there might be “something in there” so I threw it at the bandsaw the other day. I am figuring a small oval table. What do you think for the center? Possibly a piece of oval shaped colored glass. Maybe a metal grid design with epoxy? The walnut is 4/4, so I think it will go together all right. Kind of a puzzle. Much obliged for suggestions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Speaking with a friend yesterday, he suggested that given the size of the pieces that perhaps the best use for these four pieces would be as legs for a coffee table. As a table it would be quite small and I'm not sure what use a table that size would be.

I think it would be interesting to leave the hole in the middle, as is, Jack. Sort of a live edge thing. To make the table actually usable, I'd have a piece of tempered glass cut to the same size/shape as the final table top. Then just rest it on top. (The glass shop will give you some clear plastic non slip disks to put between the wood and the glass.) I did this with a small square-top table I made, just to protect the top and it works fine.

Whatever you end up doing, I'd sure like to see pics.

Merry Christmas,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Thanks for that Fred. I hadn’t thought of that. That inside hole is pretty rough, but I’ll check it out further. ...And Merry Christmas to you and yours!

I know that what I would do is use it as table top with a compass rose (there are different designs ) inlaid so as to as to
    hold it all together. Then I would use it in, and occasionally ,out on perfect days. In either location it would be properly aligned with the real cardinal points.

Thank you for the suggestion, Mel. As life happens, having Xmas with both of my daughters families and both of the girls realizing that I wasn’t doing anything right now for the other, my table project has gotten bumped down list as there seems to be an abundance of needs from the girls. Life is good.

Jack, it's a kind guy who thanks their fellows for old , seldom seen idea stuff ! "Orientation" used to be
    more than than where the school bathrooms and and auditoriums were!

Jack, good save recognizing that "there was something in there." Now the question is what that something wants to be.
    I wouldn't usually choose to put glass on top of a wood table, but in this case, I think it would allow you to keep more of the wood.
    In other words, using only the center, pointed oval you have marked shows a striking grain configuration of an almost perfect book-matched piece.
    If instead, you only trimmed the rough edges, you would have that striking grain in a larger field that reveals the whole back story of the piece.
    Not everyone's taste, I am sure. Just another approach to a project with great possibilities.
    Ron