Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tabletop Mystery...

The unbalanced design with veneer only on one side is the likely culprit....when I worked at the Forest Products Lab we would get this question regularly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Never read any thing good about Titebond 3
    You really need to do more reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    You really need to do more reading.
    Thanks , just reread my post , and was awe struck by it's concise precision....more cohesive than Titebond 3! Its been
    accused of creep many times . I've only been accused of being a creep ONCE.....dropped that girl like bottle of ungrateful
    glue.

I know from painful experience that cold press veneer glue does not work with thick shop sawn veneer, white oak, as a matter of fact. Go to Joe Woodworker's website and read what he now says about the subject. TB3 is really no different than cold press veneer so I would expect the same problems. What problems? The seems open up and curl upwards, soon after coming out of the vacuum bag if you apply the glue too heavily, weeks later (in the customer's house, argh) if you apply a lighter layer.

Glue is really important. With thick, shop sawn veneer it's critical. Epoxy, plastic resin glue, Unibond 800, and lastly TB Original. IMO epoxy is the best option because it adds no water.

John

Cheap plywood. Unstable veneer overpowers the plywood and rips the plywood veneers apart. Titebond III or even regular Titebond is more than adequate for thick veneers. I use them for this purpose everyday.

mel thanks for the humour.

Likely read about three posts lately that slagged it when I was searching for what I need.

Think you are a victim of doing something wrong not knowing. Ive been out of the veneer thing for a while but know top pros and pretty sure veneer over ply or solid is always run at right angles to it. One or both of them. Sorry just forgotten been a while since doing some artsy craftsy stuff. First thing id do is check with a pro business that does cut to size stuff, that is you order your whole job and it comes from one flitch so it all matches laid up on whatever core you want. Likely five businesses or more in the city close to me that have done that forever for big companies.

the issue is not if a glue has water its the solid content. Check wiht a glue company that knows there stuff and find out the solid content, one will be a problem one will not.