Thread: source for precast concrete floor planks, Modesto California

source for precast concrete floor planks, Modesto California

We will be moving and I would like to have a two car garage built with a basement. Idealy I would have precast concrete planks for the garage floor/ basement ceiling. A few calls and I can not find any local companies who deal in them. (I miss the local yellow pages) I have a feeling it will be hard enough to get a company who does basements.
    The closest company I can find is in Pennsylvania. Span crete is one brand.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    I presume you have contacted Bertelson Precast in your town? My dad used Flexicore here in Michigan back in 1960 for the same thing at our house. Pretty new at the time.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    Google will give you more, better results than the Yellow Pages, but if you insist, Yellow Pages is online.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I presume you have contacted Bertelson Precast in your town? My dad used Flexicore here in Michigan back in 1960 for the same thing at our house. Pretty new at the time.
    I did contact them and they do not know if they carry them or not. I did find a outfit in Stockton. It has gone through mergers and changed it's name. Now it is called Oldcastle Infrastructure. Not clear where the products are actually made. At least shipping from Stockton should not be too bad.
    Bill D.

https://oldcastleinfrastructure.com/...lowcore-plank/

This is an area (precast concrete) where I have some insight. Do a search for " precast prestressed concrete suppliers Modesto CA"

You'll see some listings show up that list players in the area. Look for hits that indicate they carry structural precast. Outfits like Bertleson only make site accessories and stair parts but no structural stuff. The precast/prestressed planks you are talking about are ideal for your use. Probably 8" think and they would need to have a concrete topping poured on them after installation (not always, but that will avoid joints that need to be caulked and maintained). There are various brand names and often a precast company will license one of the brands to gain access to the strucural forms, technical info, etc. Brand names are Flexicore, Spandeck, Spancrete, etc. Generically, these are referred to as hollowcore decks or planks.

You may not have a fabricator in Modesto but the inland valley (Stockton, etc.) should have someone. Certainly the Bay Area or
    Sacramento will have many fabricators. To save some time searching the internet, call a structural engineering firm in Modesto and ask one of their designers who the sources are. Bingo.

Thanks for the ideas. I meant the old yellow pages were limited to local outfits or at least outfits that did work in my area. That is a definate plus to me.
    A internet search that is limited to "modesto" mainly led to companies east of the Hudson river. Not really a good cost effective shipping location. Only a few from India and Balkan countries. When my brother moved to Myrtle Creek Oregon most searches led to Myrtle Beach North Carolina even when it was -myrtle beach" -"Carolina"

I wonder if one of your challenges with this, Bill, will be not only finding a supplier, but also finding one that will take on such a small project in relative scale. I suspect that most of what they cater to is larger commercial work. I'm speculating there, however... I can see why you want that, however, given you're in earthquake country and anything below ground needs to be done pretty carefully. (so does what's above ground, but...)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

LVLs not an option for the floor? Much easier to source and install.

Concrete seems a safer bet since it will never rot. I have a feeling that it could be done with LVL but I think the floor deck would have to be pretty thick to carry the weight. I would guess 2x lumber double thickness on top of the LVL. Probably cheaper to go with concrete. I believe the figure is 8,000 pounds per square foot.
    Bil lD.

The barn at my parent's place is a timber framed bank style structure with my shop on the lower level and a three-bay garage on top. The second floor is framed with rough-sawn white oak 2 x 12s, 16" OC, decking is two layers of 3/4" ACX plywood. No issue parking three cars in there.

Precast is certainly fast, but not practical due to transportation here in Alaska. So, I went with steel beams and pan deck to form a 6” slab. This should be engineered for your installation. I park a 10,000 lb pickup (loaded with water) and my wife’s SUV - works great!
    cheers

If you are going to park above the basement, then precast planks are a good, but pricey option. Several years ago I looked into them for my house/shop/garage addition. I actually found on CL salvaged planks 24' long and 8" thick for a few hundred each (I can't recall exactly, but they were cheap). They were 100 miles away so another $1000 in trucking and at least that much in crane rental to unload and set them. I am a structural engineer, so was able to analyze the planks and assure they were up to snuff. If you are going this route, you need an engineer or if buying new a company that can size properly and provide installation. These planks require experience to install properly. I actually approached a contractor who was setting some concrete panels at a commercial building near my home....he was game to oversee the setting of my panels, but again another cost. Realize not all structural planks are created equal. Depending on the amount/location of prestressing wire, allowable load and span varies. In the end, I changed my design to eliminate the basement, but I put a fair amount of time looking into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    LVLs not an option for the floor? Much easier to source and install.
    Is wood a legal surface for a garage? The last time I saw a project like this, the garage structure was wood, but the floor had a layer of hot-mopped roofing felt with several inches of concrete on top. The concrete had reinforcing steel mesh inside it. The concrete formed a raised curb around the perimeter. The idea was that neither water nor fire would get down to the structural wood.

Yes, pressure treated fire-resistant plywood meets BOCA codes for "approved ASTM non-combustible materials".
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/3-4-in-x...8211/309628627

The barn/garage in our case isn't attached to any habitable spaces either so the the inspector seemed unconcerned with this detail.

Have a look at steel beams and metal decking with concrete on it. This will probably be your best bet. Plus you will be able to support stuff overhead. It's not so easy to attach to concrete planks. You can't drill holes in them.