Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amazon is still winning on deliveries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    One of the postal carriers on my route told me packages are often delivered separately from regular mail. Especially those that are under "last mile contracts" with Amazon or FedEx.
    Today was the first time I ever got a package only delivery in addition to my regular mail delivery. It seems strange that one Amazon package was delivered separately, and the other Amazon package was in my regular mail delivery. It might be because one delivery would fit in my mailbox and the other would not. My regular mail delivery showed up earlier than it has been so I got the part I need to get installed before dark.
    Last edited by Brian Elfert; 12-22-2020 at 3:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I placed two Amazon orders this weekend and both were scheduled for delivery today.
    Professor Dr. SWMBO placed an order for some balsa wood for our birds last night...later in the evening...and it was delivered midday today. It wasn't expected until tomorrow.

Amazon uses contractors for delivery, but you would think they would split the delivery manifests so only one delivery contractor is visiting each neighborhood.
    I think they try to push stuff out as fast as they can, regardless, given their volume. "Organizing" things probably has more time-cost at this level of busy. So the vans are crisscrossing each other a lot as a result! Our driveway is physically a loop, even though only one end is "officially" our house number. More than once we've had a van come in one side and another van come in the other side and have to get by each other in the middle. (which there fortunately is room for)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Today was the first time I ever got a package only delivery in addition to my regular mail delivery. It seems strange that one Amazon package was delivered separately, and the other Amazon package was in my regular mail delivery. It might be because one delivery would fit in my mailbox and the other would not. My regular mail delivery showed up earlier than it has been so I got the part I need to get installed before dark.
    We had a packaged delivered last week at 06:15 and our regular mail service just after noon like most days I don't think it was the same carrier. I do not envy those folks...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    A look at this article reveals the first comments were left in September of 2017.

jtk
    That still appears to be the case.

USPS lists delivery times until 5:30 as standard practice. Overtime curtailment was well publicized last Summer. The Coronavirus isolation requirements (as mandated by local health boards) have lead to 19,000 staff members isolated to restrict community spread.

Demand is up 14% with a restricted staff that management wants back in the lot at 6pm.
    (No explanation of this is given, but it appears to be standard practice, other than rural routes.)

As I've said before, restrictive funding requirements have forced staff cuts to reduce hours, further undermining the service.

https://www.adn.com/nation-world/202...ackage-delays/

They Say my stuff will take 10 to 14 days with free shipping but two days with Prime. I,m never in a hurry so always pick free shipping. Most of the time (Not always) after I place the order I get it in 3 days
    My last order said it would not be here before Christmas unless I paid for faster shipping. Picked the free shipping anyway. My order that was not going to be here before Christmas arrived a week ago and sitting warped under the tree.
    Amazon ,no question has their act together and very good customer service.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 12-23-2020 at 10:41 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I take advantage of that sometimes for items that I really don't need in a day or two...the $1 credit towards digital given for "free, no rush shipping" is banked for an occasional Kindle book that's not available through my Kindle Unlimited subscription.
    --