Thread: Versalaser Power Supply Failure

Versalaser Power Supply Failure

Hello Versalaser owners.
    My (2003) Versalaser VL300 30w watt needs new power supplies. One has failed. The original XP SMQ500PS48-CI power supplies are impossible to find.
    ULS offers a substitute two power supply kit. Has anyone purchased and installed this kit?
    I am curious about the make and model number of the replacement power supplies and if the $844 kit cost from ULS is fair.
    Any information would be appreciated. The VL300 uses two identical power supplies with power sharing capability that are wired in parallel.

FYI: The motherboards for the VL300 are no longer available or repairable from ULS.

Jim Hannan
    JNJ Engraving
    Center Line, Michigan

This fits in the 'big fat maybe' category, mostly because I don't anything about your power supply(ies)--

BUT- my original laser, a 1997 rebranded Universal (New Hermes Optima 25w Synrad), I sold to my BIL about 4 years ago and had been working perfectly, just up and died earlier this year. He brought it back here, a quick check of the power supply showed it was DOA. A call to my New Hermes/Gravograph rep proved fruitless since the machine is so old.

So-- I got on Amazon, and found a power supply that had matching output voltage and amps numbers, and had the necessary input and output connections. $69 to my door, and the machine has been working perfectly ever since...again

In MY case, it seems there's was nothing 'special' about the original power supply other than the exorbitant replacement cost - when they were available. (we did find a guy with a used original for $300, he still has it )
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by James Hannan View Post
    Hello Versalaser owners.
    My (2003) Versalaser VL300 30w watt needs new power supplies. One has failed. The original XP SMQ500PS48-CI power supplies are impossible to find.
    ULS offers a substitute two power supply kit. Has anyone purchased and installed this kit?
    I am curious about the make and model number of the replacement power supplies and if the $844 kit cost from ULS is fair.
    Any information would be appreciated. The VL300 uses two identical power supplies with power sharing capability that are wired in parallel.

FYI: The motherboards for the VL300 are no longer available or repairable from ULS.

Jim Hannan
    JNJ Engraving
    Center Line, Michigan
    If you know the voltages and amperage on the power supply, I'd give someone like Mouser Electronics a call. I'm sure they can find something for you to replace it with. As long as it puts out the same voltage and amperage, it's irrelevant if it's a ULS power supply or not.

https://www.mouser.com/
    Epilog Fusion Pro 48 - 120 Watt
    OMG Laser 60W JPT MOPA Fiber
    Mimaki UJF-6042MkII e UV Printer