Thread: Panel Gluing Jig - By popular request

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Panel Gluing Jig - By popular request

Hi everyone - since many people were intrigued and asked me for better pictures of my gluing jig, I am attaching pictures of the multi-tier jig I built about 15 years ago to glue together two book-matched pieces (or any pieces) of wood together for the guitar bodies, without allowing the center to bend/buckle when you tighten the clamps.

This was the second jig I made as the first one was for very thin pieces of wood for acoustic guitars. However, this one can be used for both.

I often use spacers near the jaws to take up excess space for narrower pieces. Bear in mind that the best glue-up would be when your seam is directly under the pipe. I use the wedges to keep the parts flat and prevent them from buckling up when tightening the clamps. Also, keep some wax paper underneath and between your wedges and the wood on top. Be sure that part of wax paper does not get caught in between the joint when clamping.

Gluing Jig 1.jpgGluing jig2 (1).jpgGluing jig 3(2).jpg

Would also be excellent for use when building cabinets if you need wider panels. My jig can handle up to 28" long pieces, but you can make it shorter or longer. Hope this is helpful.

Link to video for those that missed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiGJHXTK5U8&t=10s
    Last edited by Shiraz Balolia; 12-21-2020 at 2:56 PM.