Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Block plane for my mentor....he's retiring! Row boat building?

Block plane for my mentor....he's retiring! Row boat building?

Dear Creekers,

My mentor is finally retiring after 53 years of dentistry.
    His wife and COVID troubles (staff drama, loads of PPE, multi month shutdown, etc) have finally convinced him to sleep in for the first time in 73 years.
    For the past 9 years, he's been like a good uncle to me.

9 years ago, he's mentioned about building a rowboat after retirement.
    I've bought him a boat building book as a surprise Christmas present.

I'd like to get him a truly special block plane.

Any recommendations?

He seems like quite a guy! Congratulations to him.
    You don’t mention a budget but I’d recommend one of Lee Valley’s block planes. They have a variety of styles and prices. I have had the standard low angle block plane and it has been a great tool over the years. It gets used on most projects including building a couple small boats. I’m sure the Lie-Nielsen block planes are also excellent but I have no experience with them.
    Merry Christmas!

I think the "knuckle" type is the easiest to set up. I don't know if they are still being made , but you could buy an old one.
    I used a Stanley side to side locker for years before getting a knuckle lock. A new high quality iron would be be a great
    companion piece.

I have the LN102 and it's a nice tool. But if I was looking for something special, yet practical, I'd look at the LV NX60. (Pic below) Trick it out with a PMV11 iron and it's yours (his) for $400. (Base price is about $357.) It's supposed to be a very functional tool. Their catalog describes it as a premium plane.

05P7011-veritas-nx60-premium-block-plane-a2-blade-u-01-r.jpg
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 12-21-2020 at 3:23 PM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

As a boatbuilder I use LN #102 or LN 140 skew block planes the most. The 140 is the tool to bevel for rabbets and plank gains if the boat will be lapstrake. The 101 or 102 is always in my apron. I did not see 101 on the website so it might be a Covid manufactured delay.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

6. The veritas skew rabbet block plane is great. It’s similar to the bronze LN 140, with a different look. I would pick the left flush side one for a right handed person, and the opposite for a leftie.

My budget is about $300.

And he's a rightie.
    Most of his stuff is rough carpentry (fixing houses for fun, installing windows, sheetrock, etc).
    He has a bunch of power tools, but his hand tools are pretty mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    My budget is about $300.

And he's a rightie.
    Most of his stuff is rough carpentry (fixing houses for fun, installing windows, sheetrock, etc).
    He has a bunch of power tools, but his hand tools are pretty mediocre.
    For "wow factor" in a block plane I can't imagine better than the LV NX60. Stunning appearance and by all reviews wonderful to use. But...

Given his current tool set, maybe a small well curated set of tools would be better. E.g. a LV Apron Plane (or LN 102), a couple mid-range chisels, maybe 3/8" & 3/4" Ashley Iles, and a combo sharpening stone. If the budget can stretch a little you might squeeze in a backsaw, e.g. LV Carcass Saw (a little bigger, therefore more versatile than the dovetail size. Just not as nice for common dovetails.)

I would not hesitate to buy a used one......if you call it "vintage" ! An old plane is either a beat up piece of junk or ready
    to be used for a long time. I'm betting the only important feature on a $400 block plane is EZ to use cap. And you
    could always include a couple of new super steel irons. Pretty sure they are selling stuff that fits old stuff.

Perhaps a straightforward versatile block plane without the bells and whistles of expensive models. If he's an old geezer like me, he won't care for bling.

You can never go wrong with a LN 60 1/2.

Hmmmm...
    Stanley Block planes, 3 amigos.JPG
    I have about $20 wrapped up in these 3 block planes.....Stanley No. 9-1/2, Stanley No. 60-1/2, and a Stanley No. 18......Of course...it is easy to spend other peoples cash...YMMV....be careful, these little critters tend to multiply...
    Block Planes, family portrait.JPG
    And I have 3 more waiting to be rehabbed.....
    Stanley Block planes, working.JPG
    Buy a pair like these 2....and make sure they are sharp....

Unless you feel like Patrick Leach...
    Stanley No. 8, Leach pose.JPG
    And want to pose with a Stanley No. 8.......

For a block plane that works with drywall....get a Sureform block plane,,,and save the good block planes for wood items....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Hmmmm...
    Stanley Block planes, 3 amigos.JPG
    I have about $20 wrapped up in these 3 block planes.....Stanley No. 9-1/2, Stanley No. 60-1/2, and a Stanley No. 18......Of course...it is easy to spend other peoples cash...YMMV....be careful, these little critters tend to multiply...
    Block Planes, family portrait.JPG
    And I have 3 more waiting to be rehabbed.....
    Stanley Block planes, working.JPG
    Buy a pair like these 2....and make sure they are sharp....

Unless you feel like Patrick Leach...
    Stanley No. 8, Leach pose.JPG
    And want to pose with a Stanley No. 8.......

For a block plane that works with drywall....get a Sureform block plane,,,and save the good block planes for wood items....

Great tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    My budget is about $300.
    Hehehe. You shoulda told us that up front, Doc. Anyway, the LV DX60 isnt as pretty as the one I posted earlier, but with a PMV11 iron it's $225.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Hehehe. You shoulda told us that up front, Doc. Anyway, the LV DX60 isn't as pretty as the one I posted earlier, but with a PMV11 iron it's $225.

Personally, I wouldn't mind stretching it a bit.
    He's literally worked on my mother, when I was a vagrant hobo dentist working temp jobs.

I may just give him a call....some Ashley Isles Chisels may suite him too...or some Fish brand chisels (since he's Norwegian.)