Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: bandsaw light

bandsaw light

Any suggestions on an LED bandsaw light? I had an cheap $20 led magnet mount light but it's gone bad. I was looking at Laguna's new LED light but dropping $150 for a light seems a bit excessive. This is for my Laguna 14BX.

2. I've thought about getting a nice one, but there are a ton of cheap options I'm going to try first. Things like the Harbor Freight free magnet lights or these from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Dimmable-MING...NsaWNrPXRydWU= Home Depot has the same kind of stuff but it's more expensive.

I use this LED lamp from IKEA............Rod.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/p/naevlin...lack-30449885/

Quote Originally Posted by matt romanowski View Post
    I've thought about getting a nice one, but there are a ton of cheap options I'm going to try first. Things like the Harbor Freight free magnet lights or these from Amazon https://www.amazon.com/Dimmable-MING...NsaWNrPXRydWU= Home Depot has the same kind of stuff but it's more expensive.

That just gave me an idea.... I have leftover LED strip roll from when I did my under-cabinet lights. I jsut need to see if I have a transformer to power it. I also still like the lights on a goose-neck since I can move positions if I need to.

I use magnetic sewing machine lights. About 10.00

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    I use magnetic sewing machine lights. About 10.00
    Well that is what went bad / was flickering on me. was about 20 bux.

I use the sewing machine lights also. They're so cheap, that when they inevitably go bad, they're easily replaced. The ones on my bandsaw and drill press will last indefinitely because they stay in one place. The ones at my lathe are moved constantly and need to be replaced every 6 months or so.

I bought this magnetic attachment and sized an appropriate mag lite to insert. No wires and great flexibility to aim light where needed either around the bandsaw or any where else needed.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Band Saw Mobile Base.jpg
    I use two LED lights with a magnetic base on my bandsaw. I bought these on Amazon for about $14 each. I use them everywhere I can. The lighting is great. They are easy to move and adjust.

Not really an answer to the question but I find myself more and more using an LED headlamp for detail-oriented shop projects.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    My Rikon 10-325 came with a flex mounted light. Nice! But wait, it's mounted to the back, outfeed side of the frame, so the light can only illuminate the areas after the cut You've got to wonder how some designs even make it out of the factory door. Any way, after about an hour of cussing & fussing, I got it moved to the front of the frame and it works great there.

Laguna is very proud of their accessories, which is why my 14 BX rolls around on an aftermarket base and I do not have their lights. i am not sure what power the Laguna plug is, but have been thinking about getting into the wiring to adapt it if necessary. I have been using the HF mag base $7 light on mine recently. With the quality of the LED headlamps, I think Eric is onto something.

I have these on some of my machines, while not LED but maybe they have them now. Nice and stiff, think arms is available in 18"or 24" Moffatt light
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have a sewing machine light on my small bandsaw. It is behind the blade and I only use it when I'm sawing ebony or rosewood, which I work with often for fretboards. The light reflects off the pencil marks and up to my eyes, so I can see the lines I drew when I'm cutting. Otherwise I can't see them at all without getting my face down within a few inches of the blade, which I don't think is a good idea since I like my nose well enough the way it is. On lighter colored woods, and even walnut, I can see the lines without needing a light, but someday if I get older (as I hope to do) I am sure I will.

I bought a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Mult...6-05ac39e80cc0
    The magnetic base makes one useful on a number of tools. There are options with longer/shorter gooseneck lengths and number of LEDs.