Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got the Pfizer COVID shot and I am fine

I got the Pfizer COVID shot and I am fine

Figure we can all use some good news.

When I got mine Thursday morning there had been three adverse reactions globally, out of thousands. The fourth I heard of was actually at my home hospital in Fairbanks, Alaska on Friday, and apprarently there was a spate of reactions in Chicago too.

I am >72 hours out now, with zero adverse reaction. So there, good news. I did take tylenol once after a flu shot in I think 1996, and the 2018 flu shot kicked my butt, I took 650mg of tylenol three times after that one. For the COVID shot, I took nothing. A bit of soreness at the injection site, no fever, no nausea, no vertigo, I am fine.

I went looking to see how many vaccines had been administered just now and couldn't find data easily, but I am confident thousands and thousands of folks have had the Pfizer vaccine with no problem for each of the seven folks who did have a reaction you read about on the news. The Moderna version has been approved since I got my Pfizer one on Thursday morning.

They did change the protocol after I got mine on Thursday 12-17. At the time we had to stick around for 15 minutes after the injection, current guidance is to stick around near medical assistance for 30 minutes after receiving the vaccine. Just sit in a chair and surf here on your phone while the clock is ticking, catch up on the "time for some levity" thread. If you feel fine, you can go.

The local hospital employee was quoted in the paper as saying getting two shots of epinephrine and spending 6 hours in the ER was "nothing" compared to what she has seen COVID do to patients in her care, and she encourages folks to get the vaccine ASAP.

Certainly look at the numbers when you get your chance, but probably the most dangerous part of the covid vaccines for you will be driving back and forth to the injection clinic.

Happy holidays. I texted my preacher after my second shot was scheduled, I get to have communion with my congregation on 01-17, nine days after my second shot and the first time in ten months.

The FAA is saying no flying for 48 hours though that's subject to revision as experience is gained. We'll have no hesitation to get the vaccine once it becomes available to us.

Scott I'm glad it's been clear sailing for you as it has been for virtually everyone. The Chicago hospital that paused the administration of the vaccine has resumed the process. I personally have two front line family members that have received it in the last few days and no issues. If I could have gotten it I certainly would have. The affects I'm still dealing with from Covid-19 are far greater then the risk of an adverse reaction to the vaccine. I don't know if I classify as a "long hauler" and hope that I don't. However the things that it can do and has done to far to many are staggering. Thank you for what you do and thank you for the good news post.

Good to hear you were able to get the inoculation!

Right now, it's looking like Professor Dr. SWMBO will be able to get it for "Phase 1c" of the CDC recommendation because of her asthma and some other reasons if Pennsylvania follows that recommendation. Maybe they will take pity on me at the same time given same household. We're both under 65. Both daughters are retail workers; older in a food market and younger in a boutique. The older, in particular, is more susceptible for reasons I'll not go into, so I"m hoping she will be able to get it sooner, rather than later.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My wife's BFF in Dallas and her husband received the Pfizer shot last week. She is a cardiac nurse and he is a firefighter. Both reported no side effects and have felt fine, since.

Erik
    Last edited by Erik Loza; 12-21-2020 at 11:10 AM. Reason: fixed typo
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

I will get the shots when they become available for regular people
    Right now the Politicians are first, health care next and then on down the line
    Ron

How were you notified to get the shot, I'm wondering if theres a notification process Im 70 and high risk
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    How were you notified to get the shot,
    I ruled in to group 1A since I am front line health care. The hospital I work for was doing pre-availability consents via emails once the Pfizer vaccine got past the expert comittee and the only remaining step was a EUA from the FDA. Once the EUA was issued and they had a tracking number on the shipment, more emails, this time to schedule appointments.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    I'm wondering if theres a notification process Im 70 and high risk
    The short correct answer is I do not know. Both of the current vaccines use messenger RNA or "m-RNA" and have to be stored at remarkably low temperatures in special freezers.

So one thing to know is where in Arizona are folks going to get the shots? How far away is that?

In the meantime, keep an eye out for newly approved vaccines that might last a little longer in a refrigerator than what we have now.

Also, there was recently published a tool by ABC news, it is at the bottom of this link:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/find-c...Ygug5USZYtj1Lc

that should help you figure out which "group" you are in, without telling anyone here what pre-existing conditions you may or may not have. Unfortunately the data is 4 days old now so which pre-existing conditions that might change a group assignment may have changed already.

Good luck and best wishes.

Thanks look like I'm in group 1-B
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post
    I ruled in to group 1A since I am front line health care. The hospital I work for was doing pre-availability consents via emails once the Pfizer vaccine got past the expert comittee and the only remaining step was a EUA from the FDA. Once the EUA was issued and they had a tracking number on the shipment, more emails, this time to schedule appointments.

The short correct answer is I do not know. Both of the current vaccines use messenger RNA or "m-RNA" and have to be stored at remarkably low temperatures in special freezers.

So one thing to know is where in Arizona are folks going to get the shots? How far away is that?

In the meantime, keep an eye out for newly approved vaccines that might last a little longer in a refrigerator than what we have now.

Also, there was recently published a tool by ABC news, it is at the bottom of this link:

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/find-c...Ygug5USZYtj1Lc

that should help you figure out which "group" you are in, without telling anyone here what pre-existing conditions you may or may not have. Unfortunately the data is 4 days old now so which pre-existing conditions that might change a group assignment may have changed already.

Good luck and best wishes.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Phase 2 here but I should have a 90 pass as well. Although I would have preferred not to.

To be honest three reactions after one million injections may mean the reactions had nothing to do with the shots. I fully expect when they give it to oldtimers in care homes with a 90 day life expectancy, some will die in a day or two later. Same as if you had one million frail old timers drink a glass of warm water a few would be dead inside a week.
    Bil lD

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    Phase 2 here but I should have a 90 pass as well. Although I would have preferred not to.
    That was supposed to be a "90 day pass". I saw a study headlined yesterday that said they think immunity from reinfection may be 6 months now. I certainly don't want it again. EVER!!!!.

I saw there have now been 6 reactions out of the 1 million plus shots given. That's still a very tiny number. However there will still be those that say "see it's not been tested well enough".
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 12-24-2020 at 6:34 AM.

Blog Entries
    This is from the Michigan Health Department, most of which is taken from the CDC guidelines: Most interesting to me is the graphic on the last page showing a timeline of which groups would be inoculated. Looking at 10 million per week ramping up to 20 million per week. I believe we will find that our local drugstores, CVS and Walgreens, will be doing most of the work once specific groups are taken care of at locations where there are sufficient numbers to warrant a group event. https://www.michigan.gov/documents/c...e_710349_7.pdf

Anybody else remember going through this with the polio vaccine back in the 1950's? I remember getting my polio shot at my local church.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    This is from the Michigan Health Department, most of which is taken from the CDC guidelines: Most interesting to me is the graphic on the last page showing a timeline of which groups would be inoculated. Looking at 10 million per week ramping up to 20 million per week. I believe we will find that our local drugstores, CVS and Walgreens, will be doing most of the work once specific groups are taken care of at locations where there are sufficient numbers to warrant a group event. https://www.michigan.gov/documents/c...e_710349_7.pdf

Anybody else remember going through this with the polio vaccine back in the 1950's? I remember getting my polio shot at my local church.

Got my polio shot at school whole class was lined up and we all got our shots. Years later learned how to be an electrician working for a man whose arm was messed up by polio, you would not know it by how he worked and he was short so his shirt sleeve covered it up. Only on a hot day when no customers were around would he take his shirt off and work in a tee shirt did you see it was less than half the size. He never complained about it.

Politicians are sure making sure they get the vaccination early just like they got tested early and multiple times

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    ... I believe we will find that our local drugstores, CVS and Walgreens, will be doing most of the work once specific groups are taken care of at locations where there are sufficient numbers to warrant a group event...
    My wife and I got our Shingles vaccinations at the local CVS recently. The nurse practitioner told us that CVS apparently is will be the biggest distributor for Moderna's (I think???) Covid vaccination once it's available to the public. She made it sound like there was not going to be any supply issues.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep