Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodpeckers

Woodpeckers

Here is what I believe to be a fun or interesting question. Given that money is of no consideration (yes, I do live in a make believe world) and that you are currently not an owner of any Woodpecker tools, what would be the one tool you would buy first? Would it be a six inch square or a variant length? Would it be a combination square? Please let me know if you have any thoughts, ideas, recommendation etc.

Jim

Blog Entries
    A 'classic' PRL version 1 router lift .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Their saddle square that folds. I have one from Lee Valley but it doesn't fold and I think that would be a handy feature.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Delve square. Or maybe the Paolini Pocket Rule. I have both and use them everyday in my shop. Have a few other red tools that don't see much daylight nor sawdust.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Center rule set have a 36" one now and really like it
    Ron

Great suggestions. I have the small Incra saddle square and it is a love hate relationship. It does work and it does a great job but even using the Incra mechanical pencil I still break off the lead quite frequently. I also have the flexible Incra Center finder, which I do like. I may have answered my own question as I build furniture and desks. I am just finishing up make my fourth desk for my grandchildren and on each one I use brass or steel inserts and each time it is problematic. So, I just saw on youtube that Woodpeckers has a cross doweling jig and I think on my next desk or furniture I will get it and use it. Does anyone have any experience with the cross dowel jig?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Their saddle square that folds. I have one from Lee Valley but it doesn't fold and I think that would be a handy feature.
    I just looked on Woodpeckers web site and do not find a saddle square that folds
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by James McCarthy View Post
    Here is what I believe to be a fun or interesting question. Given that money is of no consideration (yes, I do live in a make believe world) and that you are currently not an owner of any Woodpecker tools, what would be the one tool you would buy first? Would it be a six inch square or a variant length? Would it be a combination square? Please let me know if you have any thoughts, ideas, recommendation etc.

Jim
    If I'm being honest I have never been a intrigued by Woodpecker's tools. They all look very clunky and most appear to be made of aluminum. If I was going to spend the money, and I have, I would much prefer to spend it on a different brand. I own Starrett squares, all the combination sizes and my absolute favorite is the No. 55. The No 55 has beveled edges which enables me to see 90deg with a light source behind the piece very easily. This specific square may not really be practical in most shops due to price but I happened to pick this square up used at The Tool Barn in Bar Harbor Maine for very cheap. I was basically unused and was still unbelievably square. This is the square the stays on my bench at all times.

If I was in the market for a good square I would most likely pick up a Vesper Try Square. This IMO is the best square on the market for woodworkers by far.

If cost and wait times are an issue I would even look at Bridge City, Blue Spruce (even though Woodpeckers now own them), and Hillview.

I am a long time woodworker , and buy 90% of my tools from Lee Valley - best great service . Never been disappointed of anything purchased from them.

Delve Square is my most used Woodpeckers tool.

Blog Entries
    I've been interested by the 660 mm square, but only if it were half the price they charge. It being aluminum is also a strike against it.

I'd like to have a large precision square that has one leg thicker to register against the work piece.

The rip-flip fence stops for table saws looks good to me. Having two or three permanent stops for routinely used dimensions would be great for repeatability. Especially the dado stops for dialing in plywood-thickness dadoes.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    A 'classic' PRL version 1 router lift .
    Why the V1 and not current V2?

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    I just looked on Woodpeckers web site and do not find a saddle square that folds
    Oops might have been Bridge City
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I also like the rip-flip fence stops and it seems less over priced than most Woodpeckers tools. I just got delivery of two Banggood's copy of the Woodpecker corner clamps. I'm sure they are not as nice as the Woodpeckers but they were also $40.