Thread: Laser Not firing below 10 percent

Laser Not firing below 10 percent

I have a Boss laser LS2440 150w. I am trying to run a delicate material and it req a lower percentage. I can run 10% but that seems to high, any percent below that doesn't even fire. Is there a work around for this? or is there a solution to get the laser to fir at 5% - 7%? Thank you for your help.

Most lasers will not fire below a certain% theres probably no work around, it just doesn't have enough power to fire at that low percentage.maybe run at a faster speed and the lowest power your laser will fire at.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

What Bert said. It's a 'built-in' issue with glass lasers. Only advice I can think of, a 4 or 5" focus lens will cut the beam spot power, BUT at the expense of a much wider beam spot. However, if it a long lens does cut okay, the wider spot diameter can be compensated for by offsetting the cut lines...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    My 80 watt, fires at 18%.... NOT 17% but 18% and that is just the way it is. I cannot do delicate items with even an 80 watt.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    My 80 watt, fires at 18%.... NOT 17% but 18% and that is just the way it is. I cannot do delicate items with even an 80 watt.

what do you consider delicate items. I've got a 60 watt and can engrave paper with out going thru.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    I can't do the JDS leatherette unless I'm either burning through the top and the colored layers or not cutting through the top layer to get to the silver or gold layer. It should be about 15% tops I guess, but laser just won't act right.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

have you tried your lowest power that will fire and a faster speed? Not sure if a faster speed will help but it might keep it from burning thru, since the beam isn't in one place for as long as it is at a slower speed. Just something to try.
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I have similar issues with both CO2 and Fibre units. You might adjust focus up or down to see if you can tone down the beam at your lowest setting that you can achieve firing. Hope it helps.
    James Minick

"Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, and cut with an axe"

100w CO2 Ruida
    50w Fiber BJJCZ
    34in Vinyl Cutter
    5 TIG/MIG/Stick/Gas Outfits
    50 Ton Press
    Robotic/IT Museum