Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Smart Phone Choices

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    A well known photographer (forget the name) was asked what kind of camera was best. His reply? "The one you have with you". Phones score high on that metric.
    I resemble that remark....my phone does a LOT of photography since I'm the family paparazzi it seems. I actually pulled out my DSLR this morning for the Christmas festivities and found that I, um...forgot to have a charged battery ready. Both were down because it's been a long time since I actually used it. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    My phone hangs on the wall in the house, where every phone should be!

Bruce
    We got rid of our landline 10 or 12 years ago. We were only getting telemarketers on that phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    We got rid of our landline 10 or 12 years ago. We were only getting telemarketers on that phone.
    I have to have a landline phone number to give out so that people won’t text me. The only people who I answer the cel for are immediate family, and then only when I’m traveling. Happy Festivus!

I still use my landline most of the time even though I have had a cell phone since 1988 and still have that number

We have an old flip phone cell we use as our landline for 10+ years now and give that number to everyone except close family, friends, and important business contacts. We never answer that cell. It's easy enough to zip through and delete the telemarketing and political voicemail and text messages. I get zero telemarketing or junk messages on my cell.

The extra dumb phone cell line is cheaper than the landline was.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    We have an old flip phone cell we use as our landline for 10+ years now and give that number to everyone except close family, friends, and important business contacts. We never answer that cell. It's easy enough to zip through and delete the telemarketing and political voicemail and text messages. I get zero telemarketing or junk messages on my cell.
    When I’m using vi and editing something and somebody texts me, it messes up my screen. I hate that. Please stoppit.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    When I’m using vi and editing ....
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess no one still using a flip phone knows what VI is.

(On the outside chance anyone is curious, it was a big deal text editor when Bill Joy wrote it at Cal in the mid-to-late 70's.)

Blog Entries
    I'm an android guy who has almost always had Samsung phones and been very happy with them. Having sad that my wife loves her iPhone (I joke that we're a mixed marriage). If you're used to the iPhone get that (but either way you'll be happy with the current lineups of either phone type). As far as not having a home button, everyone I know found it weird at first but got used to it after a week or so.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    - Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess no one still using a flip phone knows what VI is.

(On the outside chance anyone is curious, it was a big deal text editor when Bill Joy wrote it at Cal in the mid-to-late 70's.)
    Now now...I was using VI on PDP11s for years....
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Ill just add my experience.
    I use a Tracfone. I spend between $100 to $150 a year. I am connected to WiFi at home and work so my data usage is low.
    I purchased my ZTE brand smart phone from Kroger for $30. Does EVERYTHING I need it to do.
    Had a friend who was kinda making fun of my $30 phone vs their $1,000 Apple. Everything they listed they were able to do on the Apple I was doing the same thing.
    My point is....For your first smart phone, think you will find most any phone will do what you want. Learn from it then maybe invest in something more expensive with the features you need. For me the cheap ones work just fine.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    The iPhone 6 was left behind a software release or two ago. The processor can't handle the new software. The latest software release is 14. You have 12 because your phone can't be upgraded.

When I bought a new iPhone I didn't even trade in my iPhone 6 because it had essentially no value. I suppose I'll donate it to a woman's shelter. It still works as a phone and you can text with it.

Mike
    Interesting, ???? My wife and I have 6S phones and both are running 14.2 versions.
    Kindest regards

The 6S came after the 6. Apple cut off support at the 6. I had a 6+ and apple was great about still issuing security support but not ios.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Evans View Post
    Interesting, ???? My wife and I have 6S phones and both are running 14.2 versions.
    Kindest regards
    Yep, the cutoff was at the original 6 (released 2014). Those that came afterwards are sill supported. So your 6S, which was released in 2015, is still supported. I had a plain 6 before upgrading.

You can check this at the Apple site. The original 6 is a bit over 6 years old so that's not a bad life.

Mike
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 12-27-2020 at 2:49 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dawson View Post
    When I’m using vi and editing something and somebody texts me, it messes up my screen. I hate that. Please stoppit.
    Maybe EMACS would be better?

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    Maybe EMACS would be better?
    Too much work to implement. I like lean and mean. I once co-wrote a GUI implementation of sendmail for iOS, and it was a real pain, I’m sorry I ever got drawn into that.