Loving bride and I have never had smart phones, we have a Samsung flip phone with a prepaid plan, we're shopping for smart phone choices and plans.

Really don't know what we need or want for a phone. Seems Apple owners love them and hate Android and vice versa with Android owners.

Looking to tap the wisdom banks here. What are the good points of each and the downfalls of each?

I use an Apple iphone 7 at work so I'm somewhat familiar with it's operation. I like the home button and have heard coworkers talk how they don't like the newer iphones w/out the home button. I've heard scuttlebutt about Android not supporting updates as well as Apple. Any truth to that? I'm not interested in buying a new phone every few years. Heard scuttlebutt about Apple slowing down service on older phones. Any truth there?

The quality of the camera doesn't play much in our decisions either, not that it won't get used, just not the major selling point.

Anyway just looking for some advice without starting a Sawstop or sharpening war.