Thread: Used shaper - Delta 43-375

Used shaper - Delta 43-375

Hello,

I have a shot at at used 43-375. It has the aqua blue base and an American made tag. Any thoughts - they are asking 900

“ Delta wood shaper. 3/4 spindle And 1/2” spindles, 1/2”, 1/4” router collets, 230v, adjustable fence and dust collector. model 43-375. With extra Cast Iron wings that extend table in both directions. Made in USA”

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/tl...238798550.html

I've bought and sold a couple of those, they trade pretty often around here in the $500 range. The reason I bought them was for a one purpose run of something that needed done right now, so the machine just got set up and left alone, then sold when I was done with it. They are limited by their horsepower and spindle size. Heavier shapers have 1 1/4 and/or 30mm spindles, more power and feeders. The fence is also a bit rudimentary, but effective if you don't have to change it much.

ALong the lines of Steve's comments, I think that's a bit pricey for the age and type, even though it appears to be in fine condition. If you're really interested, counter offer something reasonable...maybe $600 because it's in nice condition based on Steve's information.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Depends on actual condition. Do a test cut. If you were buying new today what does $900.00 get you? That's how I would look at it. Of course offer less and bring cash.
    My humble opinion.

Ok. Pretty much confirms my thoughts. I think I’ll pass. My money would go further on new at this point.

If the seller does wwing as a living, he may be pricing it as such because he's made good money with it. I would just put a bug in his ear and just make an offer on what you think is fair for you and seller. Yrs ago I went to a sale where the owner was retiring, so I made an offer on vacuum pump which was what I consider fair. The owner said no thank you, so I went my way then two days later he had called ask if still wanted it for what I offered. Yea he had my number cause I had made other purchases while there, a hobbyist seeing what a real one man shop looks like. It was nice and dusty, which later I will be posting that vacuum pump sometimes after Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Suders View Post
    Ok. Pretty much confirms my thoughts. I think I’ll pass. My money would go further on new at this point.
    Don't know where you live at or how far you are willing to drive. This one has been posted for a while

https://columbus.craigslist.org/tls/...247706799.html

Ron

Earlier this year, I monitored listings on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace in greater Boston/southern New England for a few months in a quest for a used shaper suited for me as a hobbyist. What I saw was that Delta and Powermatic 3 HP shapers from the latter years of domestic production (c. 1980s to early 2000s) in good shape and with all key parts intact were typically pushing toward $1k, or a little over, especially if they were from a hobbyist/low use setting. There were outliers both ways, of course, but the stuff priced much less than that was largely clones, many decades old, rusted and/or missing things, or else light duty 1/2"-only spindle machines from the era before router tables. I ended up buying a 1980s PM Model 26 with a 1" spindle for $800, plus $50 to deliver it. ...The listing you link shows a machine that appears to be in very good condition, with a full complement of spindles and table inserts that are probably unavailable nowadays except by scouring eBay, plus a mobile base. If a 3/4" spindle machine with those accessories works for your needs, and it's reasonably local, it seems like a good deal to me.
    Last edited by David Stone (CT); 12-21-2020 at 9:33 PM.

On Craigslist, if you use the search function with a setting of 200 miles from your zip code and the word "shaper", you'll find about 100 of them for sale. Many are junk, but there are also quite a few that seem like better deals. A 3hp grizzly with tooling for $650, a delta 43-340 with a feeder for $600, A cute little Grizzly 1035 with lots of accessories for $500...

The used shaper market is a buyer's market. There are more used shapers out there than people who want one. I think that's because most people really just want a router table, but have to learn things the hard way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Stone (CT) View Post
    Earlier this year, I monitored listings on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace in greater Boston/southern New England for a few months in a quest for a used shaper suited for me as a hobbyist. What I saw was that Delta and Powermatic 3 HP shapers from the latter years of domestic production (c. 1980s to early 2000s) in good shape and with all key parts intact were typically pushing toward $1k, or a little over, especially if they were from a hobbyist/low use setting. There were outliers both ways, of course, but the stuff priced much less than that was largely clones, many decades old, rusted and/or missing things, or else light duty 1/2"-only spindle machines from the era before router tables. I ended up buying a 1980s PM Model 26 with a 1" spindle for $800, plus $50 to deliver it. ...The listing you link shows a machine that appears to be in very good condition, with a full complement of spindles and table inserts that are probably unavailable nowadays except by scouring eBay, plus a mobile base. If a 3/4" spindle machine with those accessories works for your needs, and it's reasonably local, it seems like a good deal to me.

Location plays a role, but so does asking price vs actual selling price. At least locally a 3hp delta hd is a $500 machine. I sold this one last year for $500 and it took a couple weeks to actually sell.

20191124_144954.jpg

That was a good deal for someone. That looks like $500 worth of tooling